Friday, October 11, 2024

Weekend Sermon -- Characteristics of Love -- Part 7

      Thank you once again for taking the time to read the message for the week. I am grateful to the Lord for allowing me to have this ministry. 

     We are in the midst of a series of messages where we are examining what a life lived in love looks like. We are asking the question, how does a person filled with God's love act out in the world?

     Over the course of the last couple of weeks, we've looked at the great chapter on love I Corinthians 13. Today, I want us to focus in on another two characteristics that will be reflected in the life of a person who is living a life of love.  In I Corinthians 13:5 Paul states that love is not easily angered and it does not keep a record of wrongs. 

     Jesus had something to teach us about anger in the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus said that if someone was angry with their brother, they were in danger of judgment. In another place in the Bible we are told not to let the Sun go down on our wrath/anger.

     A person who is filled with love for others will live in such a way that he or she is not easily offended or worked up so to speak. I have to admit that this isn't always an easy thing for me. Especially when I was younger, I had sort of a bad temper. If you made me mad, you would definitely know about it. Thankfully, over the years, I've done better in this regard. 

     I believe that if we love others we will not want our own way all the time. We will be less selfish. When we are not acting in a selfish way, it is much easier to not get angry with others. At least I've found this to be true in my own life. 

     Anger is something that everyone needs to get control of. It leads us to other sins. I know that when I let anger get the best of me, it leads me to say nasty things that hurt other people's feelings. This is definitely not acting a Christ-like manner. 

     As I grow closer to the Lord each day, I am becoming less easily upset. I am trying to do better with this everyday. 

    Now, what does it mean that love does not keep a record of wrongs done? This means that we forgive and forget. We don't hold things against someone for years and years. True love forgives and tries to put things in the past. When we aren't living in a loving way, we remember the bad things people did to us, and then we bring them up at certain times to either hurt someone or make them feel bad. 

     The greatest example of love not keeping a record of wrongs that I had in my life was from my friend Toby. I remember that one time I got really upset with him for something that I later found out he didn't have any control of. I told him I was very sorry and that I would never get mad at him again for any reason. Almost immediately, he forgot all about, and we went back to being the best of friends as always. 

     When we are living in the love of Jesus, we forgive the wrongs done, and then we put them in the past. That is the way that the Lord treats us. He removes our sins from us as far as the east is from the west, and He remembers them against us no more. 

     Living a life of love is not easy. We have to work each day as we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to become more and more like Jesus. Amen. 

Prayer Requests

     Please remember in prayer those affected by the hurricanes here in the US. Pray that people will get the assistance and help that they need. 

     Remember to keep praying for peace. Ukraine, Israel, the Middle East and Sudan all need our prayers right now. 

     Pray for an end to the disease outbreaks. M pox is still going, and I heard a report that Marburg virus is ongoing in parts of Africa. 

     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for those in the nations of Bahrain and Morocco. Pray that many will come to know Jesus. 

     Please pray for me. I am feeling some better, but I am still not that well. Thank you. 

     Next week, we will continue with our series. I will post the verses on Monday. May God bless you all. 

No comments: