Friday, October 21, 2011

Weekend Sermon--I Am With You

Matthew 28:16-20
Haggai 2:4
Hebrews 13:5

     In last week's message, we looked at the last words Jesus spoke to the eleven disciples before He finished His earthly ministry and ascended to the right hand of the Father.  The main part of Jesus' last words were His Great Commission commanding the disciples, and all believers, to make disciples, baptize new converts and teach them to obey Jesus' commandments.  We also examined just a few of the ways we as 21st century believers can carry out the Great Commission.
     One part of Jesus' final words that we didn't get a chance to look at in depth was His statement that , " surely  I am with you always to the very end of the age."  To me, this is a profound and comforting statement.
     In its most immediate context, Jesus is letting His disciples know that as they attempted to carry out the Great Commission, He would be with them helping them to accomplish the great task before them.  This is the only means by which they would ever be able to accomplish what they did.  Just think of it, eleven men went out and preached the message of Jesus, and from that small beginning, roughly 30% of the world now claims Jesus as Savior.  If the Lord hadn't been with them during all of the struggles, hardship, and persecutions they faced they would never have made it.  But, the risen Lord was with them every step of the way.
     Just as the Lord kept His promise to the disciples, Jesus will be with us as well.  He will never leave us or forsake us in our attempts to serve Him and in the hard times we face just trying to live our lives, He will always be there.
     I know that without Jesus helping me, I'd never have been able to be a witness in the world.  Since the time I was young, I've always had a lot of anxiety when it comes to speaking to people for the first time.  It takes a lot of work for me to engage socially.  Yet, as a young man I felt called to be in Christian ministry.  In order to do this, I'd have to talk to people and share the faith. 
     At one church I went to, they did a lot of door to door witnessing.  So, I started working in this ministry.  At first, I didn't think that I could do it, but as I began to talk to people, the peace of Christ came over me, and I didn't have any problem speaking to people in this context. 
     The same held true in the context of speaking at the nursing home and the chapel services at the local Christian School.  I know that Jesus was with me, and I felt His presence enabling me to do the task.
     In college, I really had to rely on the Lord to help me to be a witness for Him.  Without thinking that it would happen, I was thrust into my own little apologetics ministry.  I went to a Christian college that somewhere along the line forgot what that meant.  I'd have debates with the chaplain often.  He didn't believe any of the orthodox doctrines of the faith.  Not one to talk much in class, I didn't have any trouble speaking about the Bible and doctrines of the Lord with this chaplain or students.  I knew Jesus was with me.
     If you will step out in faith to fulfill the Great Commission, I know that you too will be keenly aware of the presence and power of Jesus in you life.  He will give you the strength to do what He has asked you to do.
     I believe that Jesus' words about always being with us are true in the struggles of everyday life.  Jesus said that each day had enough trouble of its own to deal with without worrying about what the next day would bring.
     I don't know how people make it in life without the presence of Jesus.  I know that I wouldn't have made it this far without Him and His help in the really hard times.
     I've faced probably four or five real hard times in my life when I didn't know if I could keep going.
     Growing up and having a lot of heartache with church and school, along with a lot of sickness was hard.  But, Jesus being with me saw me through.
     Losing Toby just about killed me.  He was the one Jesus sent to help me.  After Toby left, I felt like I was back to square one. But, Jesus being with me saw me through.
     When Mom had a massive stroke and Dad and I took care of her those five years before she passed away, I wouldn't have made it without the rock of the presence of Jesus in my soul never allowing me to get too far down.
     Four months after Mom died, my Dad had a stroke at the veterinarian's office while he was there to pick up his Akita.  He died two weeks later.
     I'm still struggling, but I know Jesus is with me not only because His Word says it, I know it because when I pray and meditate I can feel His presence in my soul.
     Every one who is alive has faced hard times when they didn't know if they could keep going.   Let me assure you, Jesus is with you.  He cares.  He loves you.  He understands and is working all things out for the ultimate good.  Trust Him, and pray of His will.
     Jesus promised to never leave us or forsake us.  I know this is true.  Let us be faithful to Him in all that we do for His honor and glory.
     If your reading this and you've never asked Jesus into you life to be your Savior and Lord, I invite you to do so today.  Pray to receive Christ.  Repent of your sin, and accept Jesus' Lordship.  He will hear you when you call on His name.  Amen.

No comments: