Friday, August 31, 2012

Weekend Sermon--Isaiah 55

     This upcoming weekend is the Labor Day holiday, and I for one am certainly in need of a long weekend to try and recuperate.  This summer has been way too hot.
     I want to thank the Lord for providing a very important financial need in my life this week.  I'm still looking for more work, and I ask for your prayers in this matter.
     This week, I am going to take a break from our study of I John and look at one of my favorite chapters in the Bible.  Isaiah 55 is filled with wonderful verses that are very familiar to those who study God's Word.
     This chapter begins with the words, "Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters, and you who have no money come buy and eat.  Come buy wine and milk without money and without cost."
     Isaiah is telling about God's free gift of salvation.  There is no price.  Human beings could never earn their way to salvation.  Salvation is a gift from God.
     Later, in the New Testament, Jesus encountered the woman at the well in Samaria.  Jesus offered this woman living water promising her that if she drank of the living water, she would never thirst again.
     Jesus wasn't speaking about literal water.  He was the living water.  Jesus is the Savior of the world.  Whosoever will may come to Jesus and receive forgiveness of sins and become a new creature in Christ Jesus.
     Another passage echoing the words of Isaiah is found in Revelation chapter 22.  In the New Jerusalem, the Apostle John saw, 'the river of the water of life flowing from the throne of God and from the Lamb."
     Another well-known passage from Isaiah 55 is recorded in verses 8-9.  Here, the Lord says that His ways and thoughts are high above the thoughts of man.  In fact, the Lord says that His thoughts are higher above man's thoughts as the heaven's are above the earth.
     This verse tells me that it is not possible for me to always know what God is trying to do.  God is God.  I am certainly not.  As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I don't understand sometimes what God is doing especially when prayers go unanswered or hard times strike myself or others.  I can rest in the knowledge that God is in control.  He has a plan, and He is bringing all things together towards the fulfillment of His plan.  It is up to me to have faith in His leading and will.
     Verse 11 is an important verse to me.  The Lord says that His word will not return to Him empty.  It will accomplish God's purpose.
     As someone called to minister, it is part of my duty to proclaim the word of God and teach the Bible which is God's word.  Most of the time, I have no idea what effect this is having.  Take this blog for instance.  I post a sermon each week and pray that God will use it for his honor and glory.  I don't know what my words will accomplish.  However, I do know that when the word of the Lord is proclaimed, something will happen.  For instance, the word can be rejected or simply ignored.  At other times, the word is received, and sometimes through the power of the Spirit, it makes a difference in someone's life.  One way or another, God will accomplish His will.
     Finally, the final verses of Isaiah 55 speak about a time in the future when all things will be made new.  This is when Jesus returns to earth again.  Just as Jesus came to earth on Christmas Day, one day, Jesus Christ is coming back to earth in power and great glory.  Every eye will see Him and everyone will bow before Him and proclaim that Jesus is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. 
     When that day arrives, Jesus will restore everything to the perfect state that existed on earth before the fall of man.  There will be peace.  There will be no more sorrow or pain.  Come quickly, Lord Jesus.
     Jesus offers His gift of love and salvation to all.  If you've never surrendered your life to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, I pray that you will do so today.  I pray that everyone will have a great holiday.  Amen.

No comments: