Friday, October 5, 2012

Weekend Sermon--I John 5:1-5

     I'm sorry that I wasn't able to post a sermon last week.  I've not been feeling very well.  I think the stress of living is getting me down.  I am doing better this week, and I thank the Lord for His goodness to me.  Please keep me in your prayers that I might find deliverance from these many stress filled situations.  Thank you.
     The last time I posted a sermon, we finished I John chapter 4.  We focused on the important truth that perfect love casts out all fear.  I told a little bit about how the church of my youth taught about a Jesus who wasn't the man of love, but He was someone to be feared. 
     I remember once the pastor said that if you love anything on earth too much, God will take it away from you so that you would love God more than anything on earth.  For a long time, when Toby was first with me and he developed ulcerative colitis, I thought that it might be God's punishment for loving Toby too much.
     I am so thankful that I came across books written by people who showed me the truth about Jesus.  My life was turned around, and I grew to have a close relationship with Jesus my Savior, Lord and friend.  I realized that Jesus wouldn't put some sickness on my friend like that.  Jesus wants us to love Him more and more not love others less.
     Today, we begin chapter 5 which is the last chapter of I John.  Versus 1 through 3 of this chapter reiterate John's theme of loving God and obeying God's commandments as evidence of our love.
     Verses 4-5 state, "For whatever is born of God overcomes the world, and this is the victory that overcomes the world-our faith.  And who is the the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the  Son of God."
     These two verses are often misinterpreted by many ministers today.  Some teach that we can overcome problems or sickness or debt by having enough faith.  If we can generate enough faith, the problems will vanish. They view faith as some type of cosmic force that is used by Christians.
     I don't think that these two verses are talking about this at all.  What John is saying is that when we are born, we are born into this world system of sin.  We are sinners.  The only way to be free from sin is by placing one's faith and trust in Jesus.  We must believe that He is who He claimed to be, believe He died and rose again and accept Him as Savior and Lord by faith alone.
     When we place our faith and trust in Jesus, we are taken from the kingdom of darkness and are made children of the Heavenly Kingdom.  We become new creations in Christ.
     However, the ultimate fulfillment of these verses, and of our salvation, is yet to come.  The fullness of the overcoming power of Jesus will be manifest when He returns to this earth in glory and with great power.  This world system that has waged war against the holiness of God will be abolished.  Jesus Christ will rule and reign in righteousness as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  There will be a new Heaven and a new Earth.
     Our faith in Jesus also allows us to overcome in this world, but not through using faith as some type of formula.  Because we are in Christ, we know, or should know, that no matter what problems beset us now, they will not have the ultimate victory.
     I have a lot of health problems now and have had since birth.  However, one day, because of Jesus, I will be set free from these things. Just like my parents are now free.  My Mom is in Heaven with Jesus restored to perfect health.  My Dad is with the Lord and is free from all pain.  They have overcome the world through faith in what Jesus did on the cross.  Jesus won the victory.
     One day, all of us who are in Christ will fully overcome all of this old world's problems.  At death, we will be with Jesus, and everything will be perfect, right and good.  Hopefully, Jesus will return soon.  He could come today.  What a great day it will be when Jesus comes back to Earth again.
     It is my hope and prayer that all those who read this message have come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  I pray that you are trusting Jesus Christ alone, apart from works, for your salvation.  I hope that you are ready to meet the Lord Jesus should He return this very day.
     You can have assurance of salvation.  If you've never come to Jesus, trust Him now.  Recognize that you are a sinner.  Repent of your sins and ask Jesus to forgive you.  Believe that Jesus is God and has died on the cross and that He rose again.  Then, ask Jesus to come into your heart and be you Savior and Lord. 
     Next week, Lord willing, we will continue our study of I John.  It is a controversial section that we are coming to.  God bless you.  Amen.
    

No comments: