Friday, December 13, 2013

Weekend Sermon

     Welcome to the posting of the Weekend Sermon.  I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the library today.  This morning, the bad weather came in much sooner than anticipated.  We had a little ice problem.  About one hour ago, the temperature rose to just above freezing, and I decided to venture out to the library.  Tonight we are supposed to have freezing rain, sleet and snow.  I am already ready for the end of winter, and it hasn't even started yet.
     I have something that I am thankful to the Lord for today.  I have a potential buyer for my house.  I am praying that all goes well, but I am not counting on anything.  I am just glad that there is at least some interest.  I still am looking for more work, so please continue to pray for me in this regard.  It does get discouraging at times. 
     I would ask that everyone would continue to pray for peace in Syria.  Also, please pray that the people in the Philippines will receive the aid that they need to recover from the terrible hurricane that hit that country a few weeks ago.
     In last week's message, I brought up the stories of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego as well as Job and Lazarus from the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.  When we are going through suffering, hard times and struggles, we must have the attitude that Shadrach and his friends had.  We must continue to believe that God will deliver by His great power.  If He chooses not to do so, we must serve Him anyway.  God did deliver Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego as well as Job.  However, Lazarus died in a wretched state.  However, Lazarus was ultimately in fantastic shape, because he was carried to Heaven where he will forever be in the presence of the Lord.  For those who follow Jesus, all will ultimately be well for the Lord is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
     I mentioned that for this week's message that I planned to speak about Stephen from the book of Acts.  However, in the last few days, a message has come upon my heart that deals with the celebration of the Christmas holidays.
    As I see the celebration of Christmas taking place and all of the activities of the holiday season taking place, a question came to my mind.  Is this the way that Jesus really wants people to celebrate His birthday? 
     The reason I ask this is because someone's birthday celebration is supposed to be about them.  It is supposed to be their day.
     The more I thought about this question, the more I came to believe that in many regards, the way that the majority of people celebrate Jesus' birthday is not what He would want.
      Unfortunately, Christmas has become more the celebration of consumerism and greed than it has become the celebration of the incarnation of Christ. 
     During the Christmas season, people will shop and spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on gifts to give to each other.  I know that this is supposed to symbolize the fact that the Father gave us the gift of His Son.  But there is so much greed and selfishness in so much of the Christmas celebration anymore.
     In the major city that is about 40 miles north of where I live, there where several places this "Black Friday" where violence broke out among shoppers who were trying to get deals on Christmas items.  What is the sense of this?
     It is my belief that entirely too much focus has gone into giving gifts to each other for Jesus' birthday, and not enough focus has gone into giving something to Jesus for His birthday.  Isn't the person whose birthday it is the one who is supposed to receive the presents?
      How can we give a present to Jesus on His birthday this Christmas?  First of all, we can give Him the gift of our service.  Paul writes in the book of Romans that we are to present ourselves as a living sacrifice unto the Lord.  In other words, we are to offer up our time, our talents and our resources for the Lord's service. 
      I believe that Jesus would be very happy if those of us who claim to follow Him would fully yield our lives to doing whatever it is He has called us to do to make this world a better place.  It would be a great gift to Jesus if we would obey His commandments and teachings especially His Great Commission to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every person in this world.  Bringing souls into the Kingdom of Heaven is something that Jesus definitely desires.
     Another way to give a gift to Jesus on Christmas is to give to those things that are important to Jesus.  Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on gifts for those who already have a lot, think about giving to the poor and the oppressed.  Jesus cared about the poor and the needy.  Jesus said that when we do things for the least of these, we do it unto Him.
      Many charities this year are reporting record lows in giving.  Right in the area near where I live, the Salvation Army is reporting that giving is down 60 percent this year.  For Christmas this year, let's give to those who really need it.
     One other way that I believe we can give something to Jesus for His birthday this year is to spread love and peace within our families and our communities.  Try to get along with everyone this Christmas season.  Speak words that heal and not words that hurt.  As the Bible says, "Be ye kind one to another."
     I'm not trying to bring anyone down over Christmas.  It is my hope that Christmas will turn from being a commercial holiday about getting things into what it was really intended to be.  It is the celebration of the birthday of Jesus Christ who came into this world to die for sinners.  He came to take the sins of the world upon Him.  He came to conqueror the effects of sin which are death and hell.  Thanks be to God, that Jesus has died, He is risen and He will come again.
     If you have never put your faith and trust in the finished work of Christ on the cross, the greatest gift that you can give to Jesus is to turn your life over to Him and accept Him as the Savior and Lord of your life.  I hope that you will do this today.
     This Wednesday, I will post another book review.  Next Friday, I will post another Christmas sermon.  May God bless you.  Amen.
    

No comments: