Friday, March 7, 2014

Weekend Sermon--Hebrews (Conclusion)

     Today is the final sermon in our series on the superiority of Jesus as presented in the book of Hebrews.  I have had a very good time presenting this series to those of you who read this blog.
     I had a pretty good week at work.  I am very grateful to the Lord for providing me with this job.  It looks like that I am going to be getting more hours of work than I anticipated, so that is good.  I am also thankful to the Lord for His provision of more writing business.  Hopefully, my financial prospects will improve.  Thank you all for your prayers.
     For the past few weeks, I have asked you to pray for a country in the world where there aren't very many Christians.  This week, let us pray for the nation of Gambia.  Gambia is a country located in west Africa where only about 9 to 10 percent of the population is Christian.  Let us pray for the Gospel to reach the people who live in Gambia.
     Last week, we saw in our study of the book of Hebrews that Jesus is the superior example of faith and our ultimate example.  Being a Christian means patterning our lives after the life, actions and teachings of the Lord Jesus.  If we want to know how to act in any given situation, we should see what Jesus did in a similar circumstance and then act accordingly.  As Jesus' followers, we must do today what we believe that Jesus would do.  The Holy Spirit will lead us to do all that is in keeping with the teachings of Jesus Christ.
     Today, we finish our study in Hebrews by looking at the fact that Jesus is a superior shepherd of the sheep.  Hebrews 13:20-21 states, "Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever.  Amen.
     The whole imagery of sheep and shepherds is found throughout both the Old and New Testaments.  As we examine how Jesus is the great shepherd, let us look at some of the passages in the Scriptures that describe how the Lord is the Shepherd.
     Probably the most familiar passage we could mention on this theme is Psalm 23.  In this Psalm, the Lord is described as leading His people beside the still waters.  The Lord keeps us safe and provides us with good things.  Just as a shepherd leads the flock to that which is good and nourishing, our great shepherd leads the flock along the path of righteousness that will ultimately lead to the joys of eternal life with Jesus forever and forever.  Because we are lead by such a great shepherd, we do not need to fear death.  Jesus has overcome death by His resurrection from the dead.  The Lord will take care of us forever.
     One of my favorite passages in the Bible deals with the idea of the Lord as a shepherd.  Isaiah 40:10-11 says, "Behold, the Lord God shall come with a strong hand, And his arm shall rule for Him.  Behold, His reward is with Him, And His work before Him.  He will feed His flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and gently lead those who are with young."
    This verse has two meanings for me.  The immediate context of the passage deals with the Second Coming of Jesus.  When Jesus comes again to rule and reign in righteousness, He will take care of all who are His own.  Jesus will reward those who have been His faithful and obedient servants. 
     I also find these verses extremely comforting in day to day living.  It really helps me to know that Jesus the Great Shepherd is holding me in His arms.  No matter what this world tries to throw at me, I am safe in the arms of Jesus.  Tragedy may strike and sorrow may be in my heart, but Jesus is looking after me.  I am in His arms, and nothing can ultimately harm me.  Jesus will bring me safely to Himself where I will spend all of eternity being led by the Great Shepherd.
     In the book of Ezekiel, chapter 34 is a contrast between the poor shepherds who were supposed to lead Israel, and God who is the righteous and true shepherd.   God said that He would gather the weak and the abused sheep and save His flock.  God would appoint over His flock a shepherd who would feed them.  When that Great Shepherd comes to take care of the sheep, all will be well forever and ever.  All of those who were the victims of oppression and injustice in this life will have the good things that they should have had in this life given to them in the world that is to come.
     While Jesus was on this earth, He gave a message about the fact that He is the Good Shepherd.  In John chapter 10, Jesus says that He brings out His sheep and leads them.  Those who are Jesus' sheep know His voice and they follow Him.  They will not listen to the voice of a stranger.  Jesus said that all of the other shepherds didn't look after the sheep properly.  In John 10:11 Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.  This is exactly what Jesus did when He went to the cross.  Jesus took the punishment that we deserved.  He bore our sins in His body on the cross.  If we accept what Jesus did for us and repent of our sins, Jesus will take our sins and forgive us, and in exchange, we will receive the imputed righteousness of Christ.
     A shepherd's job is to care for the sheep in his charge.  Jesus as the Great Shepherd has done this, He is doing this, and He will continue to do this for all eternity.  As the shepherd of the flock, Jesus will lead us through this life and keep us on the way that we should go until we reach the end of our lives and we are with Him for all of eternity.
     I hope that you know Jesus as the shepherd of your soul.  I hope that you are part of Jesus' flock.  Jesus wants you to come into the sheepfold.  He is out looking for the sheep that is lost so that He may bring the lost sheep back to the fold where there is safety and eternal life.  If you have not entrusted your life to the lordship of Jesus Christ, I hope that you will do so today.
    This completes our study of the book of Hebrews.  I have not yet decided what I am going to preach about next.  I am considering three possibilities.  I may teach through the book of Malachi or the book of I Peter.  I am also considering teaching about the miracles of Jesus. 
     Next week, I will post a review of a dog book on Wednesday.  May God bless you.  Amen.
    

No comments: