Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Book Recommendations

     I just discovered a book about a man and his dog travelling on horseback from Mongolia to Hungary  I've placed this book on hold at the library, and I am really looking forward to reading it.  I heard the author give an interesting presentation at a National Geographic Live talk, and this has only caused me to want to read the book even more.  When I am done with this book, I will definitely have a review of it here on the blog.
     As I anticipate reading this book, I thought about some of the other non-fiction books that I have read that have some component of a person travelling with an animal companion.  I thought I would list some of these here for you.  Many of these books I have reviewed on the blog in the last five and one-half years, but some of you who may be new to the blog might not know about some of these books.

"A Walk Across America" by Peter Jenkins -- Peter and his dog Cooper set out to walk from New York to New Orleans.

The Norton Trilogy  by Peter Gethers -- In these three books, Peter takes his cat Norton on trips across America and Europe.

"Home Waters" by Joseph Monninger -- The author and his golden retriever go on an extended fishing trip

"River Dog" by Mark Shand -- The author and a dog named Bhaiti travel down the Brahmaputra River -- This is one of my favorite books.

"Ella in Europe" by Michael Konik -- Michael and Ella travel through Europe

"Travels with Macy" and "A Dog Abroad" by Bruce Fogle -- One book focuses on the author and his dog travelling throughout the United States.  The second book focuses on the pair travelling in Europe.

"Blind Courage" By Bill Irwin -- Bill is blind.  He and his Seeing Eye dog Orient hike the entire length of the Appalachian Trail.

"Winterdance" by Gary Paulsen -- This book tells of how the author trained a team of sled dogs and competed in the Iditarod.

"Pawprints in the Moonlight" by Denis O'Connor -- In part of this book, the author and this cat take a journey through the Pennine Mountains in Britain.

These are just the books I've read that have a person travelling with an animal.  If you know of some other good person and animal travel books, send me a comment and let me know.

No comments: