Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Book Review -- "The Dog Who Was There"

    Before I start the book review today, I just wanted to ask everyone to keep praying that I will get to feeling better.  I've had a lung infection this entire month.  Earlier this week, I thought that it was improving, but starting yesterday, I am doing bad again.  Please pray that this will improve as I have had to miss a lot of work, and I don't have much more time that they will allow me to be off.

    Now. to the book review.  The book that I am reviewing today is "The Dog Who Was There" written by Ron Marasco.  This is a book that I enjoyed, but it is somewhat hard to review without giving away too much of the story.
    The story begins with a dog named Barley who is a puppy born out in the field.  Through a tragic event, Barley is separated from his family and subsequently rescued by a kind couple with whom he lives for several years.
     Unfortunately, Barley has a lot of trouble in his life, and he finds himself homeless and alone.  He finally meets up with a group of homeless people.
     Throughout the book, people are beginning to be influenced by the teachings of Jesus who has just come from Galilee into Jerusalem.  Barley happens to witness the events of Palm Sunday, and the dog is touched by the presence of Jesus.  Barley will refer to Jesus as the Kind Man throughout the book.
     Without giving anything away, just let me say that Barley will become an eyewitness to the events of Good Friday.  He sees first hand the death of Jesus on the cross.
     The main theme of the book is the effect that Jesus has on the lives of those who will follow his teachings.  The book teaches about the importance of forgiveness, and how forgiveness can transform the lives of everyone.
     I liked this book.  It was different than what I though it would be.  I am not sure that the author intended it this way, but it seems like it is written as more of a young adult novel.  However, I think people of all ages would enjoy the book.  Barley is a good dog.  Throughout the book, you will be hoping that good things happen for him.

No comments: