Friday, November 9, 2018

Weekend Sermon -- Romans 14

     Thank you for reading this new edition of the Weekend Sermon. As always, it is good to be able to post the sermon, and I thank the Lord for this opportunity. I hope that everyone is having a good week.
     We had our first snow of the season where I live last night. Tonight, we are going to have record cold temperatures. Winter has arrived early. I've been busy working this week, and I thank the Lord for the work that He has provided for me to do.
     In prayer this week, please pray for those who are in California under the threat of the wildfires. Please pray that all will be safe and that these fires will be extinguished soon.
     Continue to pray for those who are recovering from the natural disasters that have caused do much damage. Pray for those in Florida, Texas and Indonesia.
     There has been another terrible shooting here in the US this week. Many were killed, and many others were injured. Pray for those who mourn, and pray for the recovery of those who were injured.
     Let us continue to pray for peace in the troubled areas of this world. Pray for peace in Syria, Afghanistan, South Sudan and Libya.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us all pray for those in the nations of Turkey and Maldives. Pray that many will hear the message of the love of Jesus.
     As you know, we have been in a series of messages on the last few chapters in the book of Romans. Last week, we finished chapter 13 by looking at how we are to overcome evil with good. Today, we will continue our series in Romans by examining the overall theme of Romans 14.
     In Romans 14, Paul is dealing specifically with the concept of the strong not being a stumbling block to those who might be weaker in the faith. In Paul's day, some would not eat meat at all because they did not want to run the risk that meat that they were eating might have been sacrificed to idols. Some didn't have a problem with eating meat at all. Paul said that neither group should judge the other. It was up to the Lord to judge each of His own servants.
     The overall point that Paul is trying to get at in this passage is that if you know that something that you are doing might cause another believer in Jesus to stumble in their faith, you should refrain from that practice.  In a modern context, I think of drinking alcoholic beverages. Some Christians don't see anything wrong with drinking in what they term a responsible manner. Other believers think that drinking is a major sin. They would be highly offended if someone came to their church and advocated drinking. In this instance, it would be better for the drinker to refrain from drinking than to cause a non-drinker to stumble.
      The main verse that I want to focus on from Romans 14 is verse 12 which states, "each of us will give an account of ourselves to God".  In my opinion, this is a very powerful verse. It speaks to me about the fact that one day I will face the Lord of the universe, and He will ask me about the decisions that I have made in this life.
      In the Sermon on the Mount, the Lord Jesus urged us to lay up treasures in Heaven and not lay up treasures on earth. Throughout His earthly ministry, Jesus demonstrated for us the way that we should live in this world.
      When we stand before Jesus when we die, I believe that we will have to give an account in some way as to how faithfully we followed Jesus. Did we obey the commandments that He set down for His followers? Did we do unto the least of those among us as to the Lord? Did we love God and love our neighbor? Did we try to live out the teachings of the Sermon on the Mount? Did we obey the Great Commission?
     I believe that when I see Jesus face to face one day, I will have to give an account for how I lived my life. My life is not my own, it belongs to the Lord. He wants me to do what He has called me to do.
     Most days, I try to think about how I am doing in living a life that is pleasing to the Lord. This has both positive and negative aspects. For instance, I want to make sure that I am removing any sinful behaviors from my life so that I am living a life of holiness that is pleasing to the Lord. I also want to in a positive way live a life of service in advancing the Kingdom of Heaven and making this world a better place.
     In the Parable of the Talents, the Lord told about three servants that the master left with different amounts of money. Each servant was given an amount in keeping with that servants ability. The master went on a journey, and he asked each servant to use the money and make a gain while he was away.
     Jesus has gone to Heaven to sit at the right hand of the Father until the time of His glorious Second Coming. When He returns, or when we meet Him at our death, He will ask us to give an account of what we did with the talents and the resources that He placed in our hands.
     The Bible says that the Lord is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Those who are faithful in serving the Lord Jesus will receive a reward from the Lord in the world that is to come.
     I believe that most of you are like me. When you see Jesus face to face, you want to hear Jesus say that words, well done good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of the Lord.
     Let us all live our lives in such a way that we are doing as much as we can do to serve the Lord. Let us remember that we are responsible for obeying the Lord and for serving Him in this world.
     Next week, we will continue with our series in Romans. The Weekend Sermon will once again be posted on Saturday next week as I will have Saturday off from work. I will post the verses on Monday. I will have a book review on Wednesday. May God bless you all. Amen.

No comments: