Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Dog Book Of The Year

     Today I am announcing my Dog Book of the Year Award. For those of you who are new to reading the blog, I usually review a dog, cat or animal book each week. At the end of the year, I post which dog, cat and animal book I've enjoyed the most in each category.
     This year, I didn't review as many books because I reposted the book I wrote about my friend Toby through most of the summer. We will not have an animal book of the year selection this year. There will be a Cat Book of the Year Award announced next week.

     This year, it was not a hard decision for the dog book award. I read many good dog books this year. However, one dog book stands above all of the others. The winner of the Dog Book of the Year Award this year is "Tomorrow: A Novel" written by Damian Dibben.
      This is an historical novel told from the perspective of a dog. The dog and his master have lived for hundreds of years. You'll find out why as you read the story. The dog and his master have become separated, and the dog is waiting in Venice for the return of his master when the novel begins.
     Due to circumstances that unfold, the dog is forced to stop waiting, and he goes in search of his master. He must make a harrowing journey to find the man that he cares so much for.
     Over the course of the novel, the reader is taken into historical events such as the English Civil War and the Battle of Waterloo.
     I've never read a book quite like this one. It is beautifully written, and the story is exceptionally well done. When you read the book, you'll find out what the title means.
     Now, there is another dog book that I would like to mention. I thought this book was also excellent, and in many years, it would have won the award. "Good Dog" by Dan Gemeinhart is written for younger readers, but anyone who loves dogs will enjoy reading this story. The ending is very emotional. This book is a wonderful expression of the love that a boy and his dog can have for one another.
     I recommend both of these books. Hopefully, both of these authors will have new novels coming out very soon.

No comments: