Friday, December 16, 2022

Weekend Sermon -- What Is It All About?

      Well, I am back posting. Here is what has been happening. I've been deathly ill with pneumonia for the past two weeks. I have been off work, and I almost died. I am feeling better now, and I will get back to posting and trying to get back in the swing of things. Please pray that I will continue to recover. Also, please pray concerning the weather in my area. It is supposed to get really cold. I am not real strong right now, and I am not going to be able to take too much, so pray that I can keep going. I am not afraid to die. I know that Jesus awaits beyond this life. However, I don't want to have a lot of pain. With that said, please pray. I will try to improve, and I will start posting again as the Lord gives me the ability. 

     For today's message, I want to discuss what it is all about. What is this Advent season all about? Why do we even have a Christmas season?

     The reason for Christmas begins with the fact that humanity chose to rebel against the Lord. When God created people, He said that they could eat from any of the trees in the Garden of Eden except for one. Of course, our forbears decided that they would not follow God and His ways. Instead, they decided to turn from the ways and commandments of the Lord and do what they wanted to do and how they wanted to do it when they wanted to do it. 

     God had to bring judgment upon the human race. Sin had to be punished. One man brought sin into the world, and as a result, death passed upon all people. Death physically and eternal separation from God are the consequences of sin. 

     However, God is not just a just and holy God who is required to punish sin. He is loving, caring and merciful. He decided to provide a way that people could be forgiven of their sins and come back into a right relationship with Him. God told humans clear back in Genesis 3:15 that the woman would give birth to a Messiah who would save people from their sins. 

     John 3:16 tells us about God's plan. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but would have everlasting life."

      We have Christmas Day because Jesus is the Messiah who was promised to come into the world to save people from their sin. Jesus came to live a holy and sinless life. This allowed Him to be the spotless Lamb of God who could take away the sins of the world. Jesus bore our sins in His body on the cross so that whoever will place their faith and trust in Him might be forgiven and restored to fellowship with the Father. Jesus rose bodily from the grave in order to defeat the consequences of sin. Because He lives, we shall live also. 

     Christmas is about love, forgiveness, mercy and hope. Christmas is about new life in Christ. Christmas is your opportunity to receive the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ the Lord. Christmas is about the love of Jesus. Amen. 

Prayer Requests

     Please pray in regard to my health. Thank you.

     Pray for peace during this holiday season. Especially remember Ukraine, Syria and Yemen. 

     Pray for those recovering from natural disasters

     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for those in the nations of China and Turkey. Pray that many will come to know Jesus. 

     Next week, I will try to get back to posting on the regular schedule. I will post a sermon about Advent. May God bless you all. 

No comments: