Friday, June 30, 2023

Weekend Sermon -- Jesus Is The Light Of The World

      This has been a week for me I have to say. I am sorry I didn't get to post the verses on Monday. My car was in the shop for five days. I just got it back. Thankfully, I had my brother's big truck to drive. With everything with the car, my health and work, its been hard to get to the library and post what I want to on here. I am glad to have my car back. I pray that it will stay good. I would like you all to pray in regard to a couple of things. It is terribly hot where I live. Please pray that the heat will break. Also, the air quality where I live has been bad. I've been having a lot of breathing problems. Please pray that I will be OK. Thank you.  Now, on to the message. 

     This week, we are going to focus on the fact that Jesus is called the Light of the world. In fact, Jesus called Himself this in John 8:12 that reads, "... I am the Light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but He will have the light of life." John's Gospel has a lot to say about Jesus as the light. Jesus is called the light of all mankind. He is also called the true light that gives light to everyone.

     I want to focus on Jesus being the Light of the world in two different ways. First of all, Jesus is the Light of the world because He came to drive away the darkness of sin. The Bible is very clear that everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Our sin causes us to be separate from God and unable to have a relationship with Him. 

     In His love, the Father sent His Son the Lord Jesus into this world in order to deal with the problem of sin. Jesus brought the light of God's love and forgiveness to this world. Those who will put their faith and trust in the finished work of Christ on the cross will no longer walk around in the darkness of sin. The light of Jesus will break into the darkness and drive it away. Those who are in Christ are no longer in darkness. They have the light of Jesus in their hearts. They have a relationship with the Father. Their sins are washed away, and the light of Jesus allows them to know how to live a life that is pleasing to God in all respects. 

     There is another way that Jesus is the Light of the world. In His life, ministry and teachings, Jesus showed us all how to live in such a way that this world can be a much better place than what it is. He taught us to love God and to love our neighbors as ourselves. He taught that we should treat others in the way that we would like to be treated. If people in this world would follow the ethical teachings of Jesus, we could see this world changed in a profound way. We could see more people caring about one another, helping one another and seeking the way of peace instead of the way of violence. 

     Jesus is also the Light of the world in the ultimate sense, because He is the one who will bring about a world that is restored to the Edenic state. When Jesus returns, all of the darkness will be totally driven out by His marvelous light. 

     Now, Jesus didn't just call Himself the Light of the world. Jesus said that His followers were to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth. We are to shine the light into the darkness. This happens when we share the love of Jesus with other people by obeying the Great Commission given to us by Jesus. We shine the light in the darkness when we stand for justice and stand against the oppression of the poor, the oppressed and the vulnerable. We shine light in the darkness when we help others to be the best that they can be for the honor and glory of the Lord. 

     Jesus is the Light of the world. Let His light into your life. Let His teachings drive out the darkness. Share His light with this world who desperately needs Jesus. Amen.

Prayer Requests

     Please pray that the heat will break in the places in the US that are so hot.

     Pray that the forest fires in Canada will be extinguished. 

     Let us all pray for an end to the wars in Ukraine, Sudan, Syria, Yemen and the other war-torn areas of this planet. 

     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us all pray for those in the nations of Yemen and Qatar. Pray that many will hear that Jesus is the Light of the world. 

     Next week, I hope to post the verses on Monday. I will post the next chapter of the book midweek, and we will continue with our current series with the sermon. May God bless you all. 


No comments: