Saturday, September 7, 2024

Weekend Sermon -- A Reflection On Life's Important Things

      Welcome to the weekend sermon. I hope you are doing well. I've had a good week, and I've been feeling some better than I have been of late. 

     As you may know, we recently began a new series of messages on the characteristics of love. We will get back to that series next week. However, something that I heard this last week got me thinking about something that I want to write about for the sermon this week. 

     This week, I was listening to a discussion where people where reflecting on what the most important things in their lives have been. What are three really pivotal things or important things that have made one's life what it is at the present moment. This got me to thinking about three things that were of monumental importance in making my life what it is today. 

     The first thing that has made my life what it is today is my faith in the Lord Jesus. I have absolutely no idea what my life would be like with Jesus because my whole life has been centered around the Christian faith. My family always attended church, and I can't remember a time when we did not go to church and when the church and church related things weren't a significant factor in my life. 

     I accepted Jesus as the Savior and Lord of my life at a young age, and I've tried to follow Him since then. I felt called to be a missionary at one point, but my health would not allow it. I have by the grace of God been able to be a minister and an evangelist, and I've tried to share the message of the love of Jesus with others as best I can. 

     My life centers around Jesus and doing what He says. Although, I have certainly not always succeeded in doing what He wants me to do. Thinking about what Jesus would want me to do in each given situation is what motivates me in my life and in my life's pursuits. I just don't know any other way to live. So, obviously that would be the most important thing in my life. It is what infuses my entire life. 

     The second thing that has made my life what it is today is the fact that the Lord Jesus allowed me to find my friend Toby when I needed him most. There was a time in my life when I suffered from severe depression. I know I've just said that Jesus has always been at the center of my life, but Christians can suffer from depression. I was depressed a lot in my young life, and I still have some problems with depression. I lot of the depression in my younger life started because of people in church and a church run school that really at one point made my life a living hell. 

     At my lowest point, I found my friend Toby. He was a Welsh Corgi. I believe that Jesus sent him to me to be my friend. I state without reservation that if Toby had not come along when he did, I would not be here today. Finding him as friend saved my life. Knowing him allowed me to experience unconditional love and friendship that has lasted throughout the course of my life. 

     Because of my friendship with Toby, a whole world of experience opened to me. I learned about Wales, the Welsh language, and so many other things that are important to me today. Because of Toby I became a writer, and that has certainly been an important part of my life. 

     Jesus made this a reality for me. All of life is in and through Him. 

     Now, the third thing that has made my life what it is today is music. I have a great love for music especially jazz and classical music. Jazz over and above all. I discovered jazz accidentally when I was about 16 years old. I just happened to hear it on the radio. Now, there is not a day that goes by that I don't listen to jazz. It is on every night at my house. Toby liked jazz too by the way. 

     Music has helped me to deal with many of the problems I've faced in life. It helps me to find peace in the midst of a troubled world. I thank God that I've had the opportunity to make music part of my life through singing in choirs, playing the trumpet and composing a couple of songs. 

     There are other things, of course that have made me what I am today. But Jesus is who has made my life truly what it is. I couldn't make it without Him and without the relationships and gifts that He has provided me. 

     I look forward to one day seeing Jesus, being reunited with my friend Toby and listening to the beautiful music of Heaven. 

     As I bring this message to a close, I hope that you will analyze your life and see what has made it what it is today. I hope that you realize the difference that knowing Jesus can bring. Amen. 

Prayer Requests

     As I mentioned, I have been feeling some better. Please continue to pray for me. Thank you. 

     Keep praying that the hostages being held in Gaza will be released. 

     Pray for an end to the mpox outbreak. 

     Let us pray for peace. Israel, Gaza, Ukraine, Sudan, Yemen and other nations need our prayers for peace. 

     For our prayer focus countries let us pray for those in the nations of Myanmar and Libya. Pray that many will come to know Jesus. 

     Next week, we will pick back up with our characteristics of love sermon series. I will post the verses on Monday. May God bless you all. 

No comments: