Friday, March 2, 2012

Weekend Sermon--Genesis 1, Job 38-41

     I'm back posting.  Thank God, I am getting over my illness.  But, I'm not fully recovered yet.  With that in mind, this Weekend Sermon won't be quite as long as usual.
     This week, I'd like to talk about the beginning.  Specifically, I'd like to focus on creation and humanity's assignment from God to take care of the world God has made.
     This past week while I've not been feeling the best, I've thought a lot about nature and some of the many animals I've had the pleasure to know over the years.  I'm truly grateful for all of the creatures God has brought into my life to make it better.  I also had the privilege last week to watch two great nature programs.  The first program was about the wildlife of the Himalayas.  I'm always pleased to see anything about snow leopards and watch them run along the craggy rocks without a care of falling.  The other program was a three hour show about ocean mammals.  This program was tremendously good.  The scientist and filmmakers were able to capture images never seen before.
     Whenever I reflect on all of the animals that God has made, I think of God's awesome majesty and power.  What a wonderful and creative God we serve who can bring to life all of the abundance and variety of creation.
     In Genesis chapter one, we have the account of the creation of the world.  God made everything perfect and declared everything that He made to be good.  God then placed people in charge of taking care of that which He had made.  Sadly, humans have not kept this first commandment given by God. 
     Instead of being good stewards of the creation, we have destroyed so much of what God created.  Just think of all of the animals that have gone extinct.  A couple of months ago, I saw some old grainy footage of a Tasmanian Tiger.  But, they have all been hunted out and killed.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could see a creature like that today.  Unfortunately, it won't be possible until Jesus returns.
     While the Tasmanian Tiger wasn't a real tiger, it was more of a dog-like creature, the real tiger is a critically endangered species.  Because of poaching and habitat destruction, the number of tigers in the wild continues to dwindle.
     And look at what happened ,and is starting to happen again, with whales.  These great creatures of the deep were hunted almost to the very brink of extinction.  Now, some countries continue to hunt whales in the name of research.
     These are just a few instances of how people have failed to be good stewards of God's creation.  Let me give you a couple of more examples.  Last year, I wrote an article on the practice of shark fining.  This involves catching a shark, cutting off its fins, and while it is still alive, dumping it back into the ocean to die.  This horrible cruelty is conducted so that people can eat shark fin soup. 
     Look at what happens to so many pets in America.  Tens of thousands are euthanized every year because people didn't care about them anymore.  What a shame.
     Unfortunately, there isn't much attention paid to these things in conservative theological circles.  Growing up as a boy, I heard countless times how that animals were placed here for man, and we could do with them whatever we wanted to do.  One thing I've never understood though.  Why is it justified to destroy one of the masterworks of God's creation, yet if someone destroys the work of a human artist it's considered a crime? Apparently, what God makes isn't as important in some people's opinion. 
     In Job 38-41, God tells Job about some of the magnificent creatures God created.  God describes His creation in wonderful poetic detail.  I urge you to read it.
     In this message, I want to urge Christians to stop and think about the commandment that we have been given by God to be good stewards of creation.  Be an environmentally responsible person doing whatever is in your power to make this world a better place.  Speak out against animal cruelty.
     Also, take care of the animals God has allowed to be in your care.  Make sure they have proper food, water, shelter, and veterinary care. 
     God had made a beautiful world with wonderful creatures in it.  Let's take care of God's good earth.  Amen.

No comments: