Friday, May 18, 2012

Weekend Sermon-I John 1:1-4

     Last week, we looked at Jesus' encounter with the Pharisees over the issue of paying taxes to Caesar.  The important idea in this encounter is that we owe everything, all that we have, to the Lord.  Caesar is not Lord.  Jesus is Lord.
     This week, I had a hard decision to make.  Part of me wanted to begin an in depth series of messages on the Sermon on the Mount.  I also felt like focusing on some of Jesus' teachings as found in Luke chapter 11.
     I'm definitely going to talk about these themes, Lord willing, in the future.  However, for the new few weeks of the Weekend Sermon, I'm going to focus on the book of I John.  Several years ago, I taught through I John, so it will be good to get back into this important book of the Bible again.
     I John is the first of three epistles named for John.  The other are II and III John which I wrote about last year in our series on the little books.
     The author of I John is most certainly the Apostle John who also wrote the Gospel which bears his name and the book of Revelation.  There is a stream of belief that holds the position that there was an elder named John, not the apostle, who wrote I, II, and III John and Revelation.  As we shall see, the evidence from the book seems to point to the Apostle John as the author.
     John begins in verse 1 by stating, "That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of Life;"
     John is speaking about Jesus in this verse.  John is saying that the pre-incarnate Christ existed at the beginning.  These words in I John echo the teaching of the first chapter of the Gospel of John.  It say in John 1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
     Jesus is the Word of God incarnate.  He existed as the second person of the Trinity before His incarnation on planet earth.
     John is pointing out that this Word which was made flesh and dwelled among us is someone who John had really seen.  Jesus really existed as an historical person.
     John heard the teaching of Jesus.  Some of this is recorded in his Gospel.  John also saw Jesus in the flesh.  He saw Jesus open blind eyes and feed the five thousand.  John touched Jesus.  He knew first hand that Jesus actually existed.  John was a witness.
     Jesus wasn't some kind of phantom or just a spirit.  He really existed in the flesh.  John is trying to point out the error of many gnostic belief systems that denied the true nature of the incarnation.  Jesus truly was the God-man.
     In verses 2 through 4, John continues to detail what he witnessed of the ministry of Jesus Christ.  John was a witness of the eternal life that Jesus came to bring.  John not only saw and heard the message of Jesus, he told others of the life Jesus came to bring.  He was a faithful follower of Jesus' Great Commission.
     John's mission was to tell others about Jesus so that others could come to have fellowship with Jesus and the Father just as John, and other believers, experienced.
     We should have the same attitude about spreading the message of Jesus to others that John had.  We haven't seen and experienced Jesus in the flesh as John did, but those of us who believe have experienced the presence of the Risen Christ within our hearts.  We have experienced forgiveness of sin, and we have been made new creatures in Christ Jesus.
     Believers today can tell their story of what Jesus has done in their life to those within their circle of influence.
     Lately, the Lord has really been dealing with me about being more of a witness.  I'm trying to get the word out on the blog and in my writing.  However, I believe that God is leading me to do more. 
     I'm feeling more and more like I should be involved in missions.  I continue to pray and seek the Lord's guidance on this matter.  Until I know something more, I will continue to preach and teach where I can.  That is what all Christians need to do.
     In verse 4, John speaks about our joy being full.  That is the purpose of I John.  Within this book, we will find the key to joy.
     People can only find true joy through a relationship with Jesus.  I've said this many times in the past, but I just don't see how people without Jesus in their lives make it in this world.
     Only the hope of an eternity with Jesus can fill the heart with a joy and peace that passes all understanding. 
     As we continue to study I John in the weeks to come, we will learn more and  more about Jesus' love and how we can please the Lord.
     The first step in walking with Christ is accepting Jesus as your Savior.  If you've never turned to Jesus in repentance and faith, I invite you to do it today.  Then, you will experience the love, joy, and peace only Jesus can bring. Amen.

No comments: