Monday, June 25, 2012

Some Good Dog Books

   As I've mentioned, I've been re-reading some of my favorite dog books as well as reading some new ones.  Two of my favorite dog books are written by author David Kennard.  A Shepherd's Watch and The Dogs of Windcutter Down tell the story of Mr. Kennard's efforts to make a living raising sheep in Devonshire, England.  Much of the book deals with the author's relationship with his border collies Swift, Ernie, Jake, Greg, Fern and Gail.  Every time I read these books, my old dream of having a sheep ranch comes back.
     Another book I recommend is Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote.  This is an excellent book about how Ted found Merle as a stray and about their adventures in the mountains of Wyoming.  Ted Kerasote has also written a book about the dog he obtained five years after Merle's passing.  That book is call Pukka:  The Dog After Merle.
     Finally, I'd like to recommend a book by Mark Shand called River Dog River Dog recounts the author's trip down the Brahmaputra River in India and Bangladesh.  The author was accompanied by a dog he bought in India who the author named Bhaiti.

No comments: