Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Book Reviews

Let's start the first book review post of 2014 with reviews of two books.  The first book I've been reading is called "Joy In Our Weakness" by Marva Dawn.  I found this to be an interesting book even though I do not really agree with the author's interpretive framework of the book of Revelation.  Marva Dawn has a spiritualistic and symbolic approach to Revelation.  I tend to see the book as having both a meaning for those to whom it was written, and a future fulfillment.  Nonetheless, this book provides an interesting viewpoint on Revelation that is worth the reading.  The author's overall point is that no matter how bad things get for us as individuals or how evil the world becomes, we are to remember that Jesus is Lord.  Jesus has triumphed over the forces of evil through His death and resurrection.

The other book I want to talk about is called "Close Friends" written by Peter Jenkins.  Peter Jenkins is the author of "A Walk Across America" which is a book that I believe I recommended in the past.  In "Close Friends", Jenkins describes his relationship with many of the animals that he knew in his life.  I enjoyed the chapters dealing with Peter's experience training a hawk.  I have always enjoyed reading about Peter's relationship with his friend Cooper the half-malamute.  Peter really loved that dog.  I believe that he feels the same about Cooper that I do about Toby.  The only person who has written a book though that I truly believe felt about their dog as I do about Toby is Martin Scot Kosins who wrote "Maya's First Rose".    There are many other interesting stories in "Close Friends" about Peter's dogs and the animals on his ranch in Tennessee.  I highly recommend this book.

No comments: