Friday, January 24, 2014

Hebrews--(Pt. 4)

     I have had quite a day.  I'm glad I made it to the library to post the sermon.  I had to fill out a stack of papers at a place where I am going to work part-time.  Then I had to fill out a bunch of papers for the energy company.  After all that was done, I had trouble getting paid from the main place where I do writing.  Thankfully, that payment issue just got cleared up.
     I would ask that you continue to pray for me.  I have my writing work, and the part-time job that is going to start soon.  However, with the long period of lacking solid employment, I am way behind on my financial matters.  I am going to try to find a night job as well.  I really need prayer so that I can get caught up on my house, I am in danger of not having it anymore, and then I don't know what I will do.  Thank you to those who have prayed for me in the past.
     In the last few weeks, I have asked you to pray for those in countries where there are few Christians.  This week, please pray for the nation of Jordan.  Jordan's Christian population stands at 3 to 5 percent.  Pray for an outpouring of God's Word.
     Last week in our continuing study of Jesus in the book of Hebrews we focused on how Jesus is superior to the angels.  Jesus was not an angel.  He was made a little lower than the angels in His humanity while on earth.  However, Jesus has been highly exalted, and He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  He has provided salvation for us, and we should not neglect so great a salvation.
     Today, we will examine chapter three which declares that Jesus is greater than Moses.  Hebrews 3:1-6 says, "Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus, who was faithful to Him who appointed Him, as Mosoes also was faithful in all His house.  For this One has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as He who built the house has more honor than the house.  For every house is built by someone, but He who built all things is God.  And Moses indeed was faithful in all His house as a servant, for a testimony of those things which would be spoken afterward, but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of hope firm to the end."
     Moses was a faithful servant of the Lord.  The Lord called Moses out of the wilderness to take His message of liberation to the court of Pharaoh.  Moses led the people of Israel out of Egyptian bondage, and Moses went up on Mount Sinai and received the law from the hand of God.  Evangelical Christians like myself believe that Moses was the author of the majority of the first five books of the Bible.
      Moses, however, was only a servant.  Jesus was not merely a servant, He was the builder of the house of service.  In other words, Jesus was God.  Jesus as the Second Person of the Holy Trinity was the servant Moses' master. 
      During His earthly ministry, Jesus demonstrated on several occasions his superiority to Moses.  One of these times we looked at recently.  In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus was the new lawgiver who was superior to Moses.  Moses had been given the law by God.  Jesus changed some of the Old Testament laws in His Sermon on the Mount.  The reason that Jesus was able to do this was that Jesus is God.  He gave the law, and He has the authority to change it.
     Jesus' superiority to Moses is also demonstrated in the miracles when the 4,000 and the 5,000 where fed.  Moses called upon God to bring food to the people and manna came down from Heaven.  The manna was not supplied by Moses, God gave the manna.  On the other hand, Jesus blessed the bread and the fish and He performed the miracle of multiplication Himself.  Jesus' own miracle working power fed the 5,000 and the 4,000.
     Jesus also showed His superiority to Moses during the transfiguration.  At this time, Jesus went with His favored disciples Peter, James and John up on a mountain.  While they were there, Moses and Elijah appeared alongside of Jesus.  Peter made the suggestion that three booths be built one for Jesus, one for Moses and one for Elijah.  However, the Father in Heaven said, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.  Hear Him".  All of the glory and praise was to be directed to the Son.  His glory was not to be shared with Elijah or Moses.
     Finally, John says in his Gospel that Jesus is the fullness of God's revelation.  John 1:17 says, "And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace.  For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."
     Once again we see the glory and majesty of the Lord Jesus Christ.  He is great and greatly to be praised.  Please, consider making Jesus the Lord of your life today if you have not surrendered yourself to Him.
     Next week, we will continue our study in Hebrews looking at how Jesus provides a better rest.  On Wednesday, I plan to post another book review.  May God bless you.  Amen.

No comments: