Saturday, May 17, 2014

Weekend Sermon -- Matthew 8:23-27

     Thank you for joining me for another edition of the Weekend Sermon.  I hope that everyone is doing well this week.
     I am getting more hours in at my job, and I am grateful to the Lord for providing me with this source of income.  My writing work was a little bit better this week for the first time in quite awhile, so I want to thank the Lord for this as well.
     Last week, I asked you to pray for me that I would find a permanent solution to the financial trouble that I have been having because I was without significant work for a very long time.  Please keep praying about this.  I know that the Lord is able to answer prayer, and that He will provide a way of deliverance.
     This week, let us pray for the nation of Singapore.  The population of Singapore is only about 10 percent Christian.  Pray for the spread of the gospel in this place.
     A few weeks ago, I began a series of messages on the miracles of Jesus.  We took a break from this series to focus on the events of Easter and some of the post-resurrection appearances of Jesus.  Today, we will resume our miracles of Jesus series.
     In Matthew chapter 8 we find one of my favorite stories about Jesus.  Jesus had been preaching and healing people in and around the city of Capernaum.   Capernaum was located on the Sea of Galilee along with many other villages whose primary economic activity centered around fishing. 
    One day, Jesus decided that it was time for Him to go with His disciples across the Sea of Galilee to visit some of the villages over there. 
    During the voyage across the Sea of Galilee, Jesus fell asleep.  During this time, a storm quickly came up.  The wind caused the waves to become great, and the disciples were afraid that they were going to die. 
    While all of this was going on, Jesus was still asleep.  Finally, Jesus' petrified disciples awoke Him and said, "Lord, save us!  We are perishing!" 
     Jesus responded by saying, "Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?" Jesus then rebuked the wind, and the storm ceased.  All became calm. The disciples marveled and the great power demonstrated by the Lord Jesus.
     This miracle of Jesus speaks to me in several different ways.  First of all, this miracle demonstrates the tremendous power that Jesus had over nature.  This miracle clearly shows that Jesus was God come in the flesh.  As the creator of all that there is, Jesus had the authority to command the natural order to do His bidding.  Immediately, when Jesus gave the command, the winds and the waves obeyed.
     This miracle helps me to know that Jesus has the power to do whatever I ask Him to do.  He has the power to work in whatever situation or problem I find myself in.
     Right now, I am going through a tremendous economic mess.  It doesn't seem like there is any light at the end of the tunnel.  However, I know that I need to have faith in the miracle working power of the Risen Lord Jesus.  The same one who calmed the storm has the power to do what is necessary to bring about a resolution to my current difficulties.
     This miracle also speaks to me about the fact that I do not need to be afraid.  Jesus will keep me safe.  Ultimately, I know that because of what Jesus has done on my behalf, all will be well.  One day, I will be with the Jesus because He has gone to prepare a place for me.  Wherever Jesus is, I will be there too.
     There is a lot in this world to make anyone afraid.  Finances, bad health, family problems, war and violence can strike fear into our hearts.  It helps me immensely to realize that the creator of the entire universe is in control of my life.  He is guiding and directing my path.  I need to keep my eyes on Jesus and focus on His power and His love for me.
     When I think of storms in life that need to be calmed, I also think about the inner emotional storms that affect so many.  I have had difficulty with depression for many years.  As I said on this blog before, I know that I would never have made it this far in life without the Lord Jesus in my life.  Everyday, He helps me to make it through the difficult and hard times.  His loving presence brings comfort to the emotional and psychological storms that try to unleash havoc and bring upset to my heart.
     It all comes down to this.  Jesus is God.  He is the creator.  All power belongs to Him.  If we put our faith and trust in what Jesus has done for us by His death and resurrection, we have Jesus in our heart.  Jesus can bring us through every storm we face in this life.  He is the only one that can bring us peace and comfort.  Jesus will lead all of His followers to safety, joy and happiness in His eternal kingdom.  Let us all have faith in Jesus, and believe that He is with us in all things.
     Next week, I will post a book review on Wednesday and a sermon on Friday.  May God bless you.  Amen. 
    

No comments: