Friday, August 8, 2014

Weekend Sermon-- Psalm 40

     Thank you for joining me this week for another edition of the Weekend Sermon.  I would like to thank all of you who have faithfully read the sermons since I started posting them on this blog.  I can hardly believe it, but this month marks three years of sermons.  I pray that you have been blessed by what you have read.  I want to thank you Lord Jesus for giving me this opportunity of ministry.
     I also want to thank the Lord for His blessings upon me this week.  There was some disagreement at work this week.  However, all seems to be going well now.  For that I am glad.
     As you go to the Lord in prayer this week, continue to remember those who are afflicted with the Ebola virus.  Please pray for the recovery of the sick, and pray that this virus will stop spreading.  Also, continue to pray for peace in Syria, Israel, Afghanistan, Iraq and Ukraine.
     For today's sermon, I would like us to look at one of my favorite Psalms.  Psalm 40 is a Psalm with a lot of meaning to me.  Let's look into it and see what we can learn.
     David begins Psalm 40 by stating, "I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry, He lifted me out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God."
     To me, these verses take on two different meanings.  First of all, these verses represent the person before and after coming to salvation through Jesus Christ.  All of us were stuck in the pit of sin before we came to know the love and salvation of Jesus.  Only Jesus could lift us out of the pit of sin and set us on solid ground.  Jesus gives us a new heart, and He makes us a new creation.  All of the old passes away, and everything in life becomes brand new.
     I believe that this passage also represents the feelings of many who suffer from depression.  Those who suffer from depression can feel as if their lives have fallen into the pit.  Many don't know if they will ever feel any happiness again.  I know how this feels as I have suffered from depression on more than one occasion. 
     One thing that I know in my life is that Jesus has lifted me out of despair and given me hope for living many many times.  Through His love and through the awareness of His indwelling presence, I have been able to overcome the dark times that have beset my life.  Jesus lifted me out of the pit and set my feet on a firm foundation.  That firm foundation is His unfailing love.
     This Psalm also speaks about what the Lord desires of those who follow Him.  Verse 6 states, "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire."  Verse 8 says, "I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is withing my heart."
     What God desires is that we obey His commandments.  All of our religious observances and displays are meaningless without obedience.  The Lord Jesus gave us who are His followers several commandments to follow.  The great commandment He left us is to love one another.  We are also to love the Lord with all of our heart, mind, soul and strength.  The Lord's desire of those who say that they love Him is to demonstrate that love by faithfulness and obedience.
     In the remainder of this Psalm, David reiterates the fact that the Lord is the deliverer out of all of the problems we may be facing in life.  I truly rest on this promise each day in my life.  As followers of Jesus, we know that we will be delivered from every evil that besets us.  That deliverance may occur quickly, or it may not occur until we stand in the presence of Jesus one day when all of the past problems and heartaches will be no more.  For the follower of Jesus, ultimately, all is well and all will be well.
     If you are facing a difficult situation in your life, remember that Jesus is with you.  He will help you to face whatever you are going through.  Pray, and ask Jesus to allow you to be aware of His presence.  Ask the Lord to deliver you and see you through.
     On Monday, I will post a verse for the week.  On Wednesday, I will try to post a review.  The Weekend Sermon will appear on either Friday or Saturday.  May God bless you .  Amen.

No comments: