Saturday, August 2, 2014

Weekend Sermon

     Thank you all for joining me again this week for the Weekend Sermon.  I am glad to be able to post the sermon this week.  I pray that everyone is in good health and doing well.
     This week, there are two things that I would like us all to focus our prayers on.  As you may know, there is a terrible outbreak of the Ebola virus in West Africa.  The countries of Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Guinea seem to be the most affected.  Let us pray that those who are seek will recover, and that this virus will stop spreading.
     Also, let us pray for peace in the Middle East.  The conflict continues between Israel and Gaza.  The innocent children suffer the most.  May there be peace.  May there be peace in all the troubled spots of this world.  May the Prince of Peace the Lord Jesus come back very soon.
     Today, I would like to talk about a very important topic that has really come to my attention in the past few weeks.  As many of you know, I began a new job about five months ago.  Most of the time I really enjoy my job.  However, there is something that has been occurring that has really surprised and troubled me.  That is the amount of racism, prejudice and discrimination that I have heard expressed by many of the people I have encountered while working.
     Over the past months, I have heard many derogatory comments about people of different racial and ethnic groups.  I have witnessed a great number of people expressing disdain and contempt for those who are poorer than they are or who have less education.
    What really saddens me is that many of the comments in this regard that I've heard are from Christian, church-going people.  This has led me to consider what the Bible says about these matters, and I want to look into this today.
     The first place that we should always look is to what Jesus had to say about something.  When Jesus walked upon this earth, the Samaritans were looked down upon by many members of the Jewish religious community.  But, Jesus clearly demonstrated that this type of discrimination was wrong.  Jesus took His message of love directly to the Samaritans.  This is recorded clearly in John chapter 4 when Jesus encountered the woman at the well.  Jesus also used Samaritans as examples in some of His most well-known parables including the parable of the good Samaritan.
     Jesus also demonstrated the fact that He was opposed to sexism and classism as well.  Jesus treated women with respect in all of His dealings.  Jesus also preached a message of love and acceptance to all socio-economic groups.  Jesus said that the poor were blessed and that they were the salt of the earth.  In fact, the Lord's birth was announced to shepherds who were looked down upon by many in Jesus' day.
     Besides these examples from the life of Jesus, the Bible has more to say on the matter of prejudice and discrimination against others.  The Apostle Paul states it this way in Galatians 3:26-29 where he says, "You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.  There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."
     This passage makes it quite clear that there is no basis for any type of prejudice or discrimination in the Christian community.  We as Christians are not to be racist nor sexist nor should we discriminate against someone based on their socioeconomic position.  Jesus has made us all one.
     In society in general, the believer in Jesus should be at the forefront of promoting racial and ethnic reconciliation.  We should be inclusive, and share the love of Jesus with everyone.
     There is another passage that is important to look at concerning these matters.  In James chapter 2, James says that it is wrong to look down on someone who is poor while favoring the rich.  We are to treat everyone equally.
     I hope that as believers in Jesus Christ that we will recognize our unity in Him and not focus on differences.  It is my prayer that Christians will repent of any racial, ethnic, or any other type of prejudices we might have.  Let us be an example of love, tolerance and decency in our society.
     On Monday, I will post the verse of the week.  Wednesday, I hope to post a book review.  I will return with the Weekend Sermon on Friday or Saturday.  May God bless you.  Amen.

No comments: