Sunday, February 15, 2015

Thoughts On A Sunday Afternoon

     Hello, I hope that everyone is having a good day.  There are just a few things that were on my mind, so I decided to share them here on the blog.
     Yesterday, I asked you to pray about a health problem I was having.  I thank the Lord, and I am pleased to report, that all appears to be well.  Thank you for your prayers in this matter.
     I do have some sad news.  I found out late yesterday that a friend of mine from the Internet died a couple of days ago.  Please pray for his family during this time of sadness.  Also, an Internet friend of mine in Japan has a friend who has suffered a terrible stroke.  Please pray that this man will recover.
     Please pray for me that I can get to work safely tomorrow.  We are supposed to have quite a bit of snow overnight, and I am worried about getting to work in my little car.  I live about 25 miles away from my job, so I hope I won't have to try to make it in a lot of bad weather.  At my new job, they have a point system if you have to be gone for any reason whatsoever.  If you get so many points, you are automatically terminated.  They told us that they didn't care if we were sick in bed with pneumonia.  If we got the points, we were gone.  I had to be off Friday because I had to get my car's wheel fixed.  If I have to be off Monday with the weather, I will have half of the points needed for termination.  You can also get points if you are late back from breaks or lunch even thirty seconds.  They will also give you points if you log into your computer and start working one minute before your shift or one minute before you are to be back from lunch.  If you clock out two minutes late without a supervisor's pre-approval, you also get points.  Needless to say, I really want to get to work tomorrow.
     I really believe that I need less tension in my life.  I can't understand why some workplaces have to have such weird rules.  In my humble opinion, if a person is doing a good job and getting their work done right, that is the important thing.  All of these rules just add nervousness to an already tense situation.  I'm already nervous knowing that every call I make is monitored and graded.  Lord help me is what I say everyday.
     I just thought of two other things we should pray about this week.  I mentioned yesterday that the Ebola outbreak seemed to be getting under control.  Well, last night I heard on NPR that more cases are cropping up in Sierra Leone.  The government there is worried that a new outbreak is coming.  Let's continue in prayer about this situation.
     Also, let us pray about the terrorist problem facing Europe at this time.  Denmark has been the latest location of terrorism.  Let us pray for an end to the evil of terrorism.  There is no excuse for people to act in this manner.

    I just wanted to share with everyone something that I've been thinking about lately.  Many of you know that one of my favorite verses is "Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever."  To me, this means that the way Jesus acted in the past is the way He will act today and in the future.  It also means that what Jesus said in the Bible is true today and in the future as well.  I thought of another meaning for this verse a couple of days ago.   I think that this verse also means that we aren't going to come up with something new about Jesus.  What I mean by that is this.  Over the last few years, there have been a host of books written about the historical Jesus or some other "new" interpretation of Jesus.  However, the doctrines of orthodox Christology have been in place since the time of the earliest church fathers.  We're not going to somehow add or detract from who Jesus is or what He did these hundreds of years later.  In orthodox Christian belief, Jesus has always been viewed as human and divine.  He died for our sins and rose again.  If anyone tries to add or detract from this, they aren't heeding the verse that "Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever."
     This is just a thought.  I love to think about Jesus and what He had done for me.  I know that He is my Lord and friend.  I try to get to know Him better every day.  Have a good rest of the day.  I will post a verse or verses for the week tomorrow weather permitting.  For those in the United States, have a happy President's Day.




   

No comments: