Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Book Review -- "The Old Man and the Cat"

     The book I am reviewing this week is entitled "The Old Man and the Cat" written by Swedish author Nils Uddenberg.  In this book, the author details how a stray cat adopted him and his wife.  At first, the couple did not really want a cat around.  However, the cat gradually became a part of their lives.  The author especially notes that he wasn't really an animal person, but after having the cat around, he is now a cat lover.
    This book was not at all what I thought it would be when I purchased it.  While the book is interesting, it is not as good as the other cat books I've recommended here on the blog in the past.  The author more or less analyzes his relationship to the cat.  The entire book seems rather bland, in my opinion.  
    There was one aspect of the book that I particularly disliked.  On several occasions, the author disparages dogs.  This is a quick way to get me to not like a book.  While I like cats a lot, I love dogs and think that they are the greatest creatures made by God.  I get turned off fast to people who have bad things to say about dogs.
    Overall, I didn't really enjoy this book, and I can't say that I would recommend it.  There are a lot of better cat books on the market to enjoy.

No comments: