Friday, February 12, 2016

Weekend Sermon -- James 4:14

     Welcome to a new posting of the Weekend Sermon.  It is my prayer that all of you are doing well and having a good day.  Thank you for reading the blog.
     For those of you who didn't read Wednesday's posting, my friend passed away on Tuesday. It is a very sad time.  He died suddenly, and those who knew him are shocked.  I would ask you to please pray for his wife and two children during this difficult time.
     Please pray for me.  I had to go to the doctor this week.  I have an infection in my jaw.  The doctor thinks that it will get better with the medicine I am on.  Otherwise, I'm doing fairly well.  I am always grateful for your prayers on my behalf.
     In prayer this week, remember those who are suffering from the various illnesses that are on this planet.  Hawaii is having an outbreak of dengue fever, and the zika virus is bad in central and South America.  Pray that this will all end.  Remember to pray for peace around the world.
     Let us continue to pray for the spread of the message of Jesus around the world.  Pray for the nations of Burkina Faso, Togo, Turkmenistan and India.
     For the past few weeks, we have been in a study of the Apostles' Creed.  Today, I want to step away from that series for just one week and speak about something that always comes to my mind when those I know pass away.
     James 4:14 is a verse that speaks eloquently about the brevity of life.  It states, "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow.  For what is your life?  It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."
     Even if you live a long time, life is short.  No one knows what a day will bring forth.  It can vanish just like a vapor as James says.  Two people who are close to me died suddenly.  My Dad was almost 80 years old when he had a stroke while at the veterinarian's office.  My friend who just passed away was only 49 years old.  I'd just spoken to him on the phone two days before he died, and he was fine then.
     No one is guaranteed a tomorrow.  That is why it is important to do what is necessary today.  This makes me think of of few things that are important to do today.
    First of all, the Bible says that today is the day of salvation.  It is imperative that a person decides his or her eternal destiny right now.  What we do with Jesus Christ will determine where we will spent eternity.  My Dad, my friend who just died, my Mom and my close family members all had placed their faith and trust in Jesus.  I know that they are in Heaven with the Lord Jesus Christ right now.  If you have not determined your eternal destiny, I urge you to make this the day of salvation and place your faith and trust in Jesus Christ right now.
     The second thing that it is necessary to do today is to express your love to those for whom you care the most.  Tell your friends and family, and show your friends and family, how much that you love them.
     Finally, the third thing that is necessary to begin to do today are those things that you have always wanted to do in life and those things that the Lord has called you to do with your life.  If you have a dream, start doing what is necessary today to make that dream a reality.  If it is a career, an activity, whatever, don't put it off.  If the Lord has called you to a particular ministry, begin today to do what the Lord has placed within your heart.
     For me, the death of my friend has placed a new sense of urgency in my heart to do what it is that I need to do to minister for the Lord in a greater way.  I am miserable at my new job,  It is time to make a change.  Today is the day to do what God had told me to do.
     Whenever someone close to me has died, I remember the words of my favorite passage of Scripture.  I read these verses at my Mom's service.  Jesus said in John 11:25-26, "I am the resurrection and the life:  he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.  And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die."  
     Because Jesus rose again from the dead, death does not have the final word.  Death is a defeated enemy.  One day, all those who have died in Christ will be reunited with Jesus in the place that He has prepared.  I look forward to that day.
     Next week, we will continue with our series in the Apostles' Creed.  I will post the verses on Monday and a review on Wednesday.  May God bless you all.  Amen.

No comments: