Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Book and Video Review --"Some Old Favorites"

     Recently, I was going through some of my books and videos just to see if there was anything that I wanted to look at again.   Here are some old favorites.
     One person who I think is an outstanding writer is Alexander Solzhenitsyn.  Some of his books are very long.  However, I believe that his best novel is the short work "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich."  I would highly recommend this book.  It is very well-written.
    I will always remember this book and its association with my Dad.  After my Dad retired, I tried to get him interested in reading.  As a young man I can only remember my Dad reading one book all the way through, and that was a biography of Billy Graham.
    My Dad wanted some novels to read, so I gave him Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea" to start out with.  He really liked that book.   The next one I gave him to read was a "A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle since my Dad spent much time in France during his time in the Army.  Dad liked this book as well.  He also really enjoyed "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriot.  Herriot is my favorite by the way.
     I'd read "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich"  and I counted it among my very favorite literary novels.  My Dad did not like this book at all.  He did not like the fact that it was an entire book  about one day.  So, some may not like this book.  But, I highly recommend it to you.
     One of my favorite dog books is "My Dog Skip" written by Willie Morris.  It is a book about a boy and his fox terrier and the days they spent together in Yazoo City, Mississippi.  Some of you may have seen the movie version of "My Dog Skip".  That movie is good, but the book is nothing like the movie, and the book is much better.
     As I already mentioned, James Herriot is my favorite.  I have all of his books as well as all of the seasons in the "All Creatures Great and Small" television series.   The first seasons of the television program are the best.
     "Inspector Morse was a great television series.  John Thaw was an incredible actor, and I enjoyed watching him in Morse and in other programs such as "Kavanagh QC" and "Goodnight Mister Tom".  I think that all of the Morse episodes are good with my favorite being "The Way Through the Woods."  The book series by Colin Dexter is also good.  The books present Morse and Lewis a little differently than the television programs do.
     Finally, there is "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London.  What a great book.  Need I say more.

 

No comments: