Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Book Review -- "The Story of Philosophy"

     I've had a great interest in the subject of philosophy for many years.  I studied it on my own for several years.  After I graduated with my theology degree, I thought about going back to university and obtaining a degree in philosophy.  Unfortunately, there weren't any degree programs in the subject at the colleges that were within driving distance.  Instead, I chose to study history.  I would later study writing and go to seminary to study theology again.
     During my time in college, I was able to take some courses in philosophy, and I enjoyed them a lot.  My best education in the subject came from reading philosophy books and taking many courses offered through a company called The Teaching Company.
     One of the philosophy writers whose work I enjoyed was Bryan Magee.  He had an interesting series of programs on TV about philosophy and philosophers.  He is considered an expert on the philosophy of Schopenhauer, and he wrote a book called "Confessions of a Philosopher" that I enjoyed very much.
     Today, I would like to recommend an introductory book on the subject of philosophy written by Bryan Magee.  The book is entitled "The Story of Philosophy."  In this introduction, the reader is given a great deal of information about the great philosophers and philosophical movements over the course of Western history.  I think the book is an excellent source of information for those seeking information on modern philosophical movements.
     If you would like to know more about the subject of philosophy, "The Story of Philosophy" is a good place to get a thorough introduction to the subject in a readable and understandable form.

No comments: