Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Book Recommendations

     Today, I would like to discuss some books that I've been thinking about recently.  As many of you are aware, October 4 was the day that Saint Francis of Assisi is remembered.  On that day, many churches will have a blessing of the animals service.
     I've read a lot of books about St. Francis over the years.  One that is particularly good was written by G.K Chesteron.  Also, St Bonaventure wrote a biography of St. Francis that is interesting.  I would also urge you to find a copy of the complete writings of St. Francis.  These are available in several different editions.
    Now, I want to switch gears entirely and recommend one of my very favorite books that I've been thinking about recently.  I first read "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London when I was in third grade.  Since then, I've read that book several more times.  Buck is one of the great characters of literature.  This is a great story about the desire for freedom.
     "White Fang" is another great Jack London book. I also like the "White Fang" movie with Ethan Hawke.  The sequel is fairly good, but not as good as the first one.
     Reading "The Call of the Wild" caused me to love dogs even more than I already did.  Dogs have always been an important part of my life, and I hope that they always will be.
   

No comments: