Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Dog Book of the Year

     It is that time of year again when I reveal my pick for the dog book of the year.  Those of you who read the blog on a regular basis know that I review books almost every Wednesday.  Most of the books I review are about dogs, cats or other animals.  At the end of the year, I reveal the books I enjoyed the most.
     This year it was very hard to choose the dog book of the year.  I read some dog books that I enjoyed very much.  After much consideration, I decided on two picks.  One dog book in the younger readers category, and one in the adult category.
     My favorite dog book in the adult category is "Secret Service Dogs" by Maria Goodavage.  This book tells about the fantastic work that these dogs do in protecting the President and his family from danger.  In this book, the author follows a few handlers and their dogs, and we really get to know these teams.  The book goes in depth about the training and work of these dog and handler teams.  I highly recommend this book.  There are some great dog stories in this book.
    Now, in the younger readers category, my favorite book I read this year was "A Dog For Life" by L.S. Matthews.  This book tells the story of a boy and his dog Mouse who travel across Britain on a great adventure.  The boy's brother is sick, and their mother thinks that Mouse will aggravate the sick boy's poor health.  The boys don't want to part with Mouse as they are able to speak with her and she is their grand friend.  The boys decide to send the younger brother to their uncle's house across the country in the hope that he will take in Mouse until the older brother is well.   This was a really great book.  It has been several years since it was first published, but I just came across by chance in the library this year.  It would be well worth the time to find this book as I am sure young and old alike would enjoy it.
    I already have two dog books ready to be reviewed here on the blog for next year.  Both of these books are great.  One of them would have been the dog book of the year if I'd have read it during this year's reading period.
     Next week, I will reveal my choice for the cat book of the year.  You can probably already guess what it will be.  The following week, I will reveal the animal book of the year.

No comments: