Friday, February 16, 2018

Weekend Sermon -- Malachi 4

    Welcome to this week's edition of the Weekend Sermon. I am so happy that you have taken the time to read the sermon this week.  I hope that everyone is having a very good day.
     I've had a good week in writing. I am very thankful to the Lord for all of the blessings that He has provided in so many ways over the last 10 days.
     In prayer this week, I would ask everyone to please pray for those who lost loved ones in the school shooting in Florida. Please pray for those injured that they will quickly recover.
     I live in the United States, so I must speak about this matter. My country needs to enact some additional gun control regulations. Even if those regulations would stop just one incident, it would be worth it. This can't keep happening.
     Please continue to pray for those in Puerto Rico who are without electricity. The last report I heard stated that 25 percent were still without power. Pray for all those who were effected by the hurricanes in the Caribbean.
     Let us pray that everyone at the Olympics will be safe. I've been enjoying the competitions. Last night I watched the skeleton competition, and that was really good.
     Continue to pray for peace in this troubled world. Pray for an end to terrorism, and pray for peace on the streets of cities where there is violence.
     For our prayer focus countries this week, let's pray for Comoros and Iran. Pray that many in these two countries will hear the message of the love of Jesus.
     I have one minor matter that I want to ask prayer for. Last year, I had problems with moles in my yard. I asked you all to pray that they would go away, and they did. Thank God. However, it is getting warmer in my part of the country, and I noticed a mole working in the yard yesterday. Please pray that he will go away. Thank you.
     Today is the last sermon in our series on the book of Malachi. I have enjoyed posting the messages on this series. Apparently, others have not enjoyed reading them. Since I began the series on Malachi, almost half of the people who were reading the blog have quit reading the sermons. This makes me sad. I hope that those of you who are still reading the sermons will continue to do so as we move into another series of messages.
     Next week, Lord willing, I am going to start a short series of messages regarding verses that are often taken out of context and on verses people think are in the Bible but they are not. After this series is complete, I want to have a longer series on who is Jesus. I want us to study who Jesus is and what He did in depth.
     Now, let's finish up Malachi.
     Malachi chapter 4 deals with the Second Coming of Jesus. When Jesus comes, He will judge the world. We see this stated in the Apostle's Creed that says, "He shall judge the living and the dead."
     Those who have done what is evil and are not willing to yield their lives to the Lord will not be a part of the Lord Jesus' kingdom that will be on this earth. The Lord is not willing that any should be excluded. His invitation of love and forgiveness is always open to whosoever wants to know Him.
     Verse 2 is what I want us to focus our attention on today. This verses states, "But for you who fear my name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in his wings, and you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture."
     I love this verse. The imagery is just great. We are healed by the power and love flowing from the Lord. We are freed into exuberant joy just like calves let out of the barn on a beautiful Spring morning.
     This is something that we as followers of Jesus can experience right now. It will be more intense when Jesus comes to rule and reign in righteousness.
     I think of the imagery of the sun. The sun warms people on a cold day. It's been so cold here this winter it's ridiculous. But, even on a cold day, when the sun shines on you, you feel a little warmer. The sunshine helps you make it through the cold, and its presence brings happiness after a string of cloudy and grey days.
     This is a metaphor of life in Jesus. Jesus shines His light upon us. He brings hope and happiness even the midst of this world that has so many bad and discouraging things in it.  Even when we are going through depressing times, the light of Jesus shines and heals our hearts. His light gives us hope and peace.
     The Lord gives us freedom. We are free from the sin that would so easily entangle. We are free to live lives of joy in the eternal love of Jesus.
     When Jesus returns one day, He will bring healing and restoration to all. There won't be anymore sin or sorrow. Every tear shall be wiped away. There won't be wars and violence. There won't be hungry children. All the sick will then have perfect health.
      I certainly hope that Jesus comes back soon. I hope that if you haven't done so that you will ask Jesus to be your Lord. You will know His presence now, and you will experience the fullness of His love and joy when He comes again.
     That is all I want to say about the book of Malachi. This wraps up our study. If you have enjoyed studying this book, I hope that you will leave a comment. It would be an encouragement to me right now.
     There is one other thing I wanted to ask you to pray about. Tomorrow is the day that my Dad passed away eight years ago now. For some reason, I feel more sad this year than any year since He went to be with Jesus. Please pray that the Lord's presence will be with me to help me keep going on a hard day.
     Next week, Lord willing, we will begin a new series of messages. On Monday, I will post the verses. On Wednesday, I hope to post a book review of one of the best dog books that I've read in a long time. May God bless you all. Amen.









No comments: