Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Toby -- The Story of My Friend -- Chapter 5

Here is the next chapter:

Chapter 5

     As I mentioned, I was very sick as a child.  I missed a lot of school, and I had difficulty keeping up at times.  If something was going around, I would catch it.  My immune system was very defective.  A stressful environment didn't help much.
     After the church my family attended opened a school, I began attending there.  While there, my illnesses intensified.  Because of insufficient enrollment, the school closed leaving me with no school to attend.  My parents and my doctors felt that going to school at home would allow me to regain my health and complete my high school education.
     Leaving the traditional school room for school at home was quite a transition.  The hardest thing to adjust to was the quiet.
     At this point, you may be asking what all this has to do with the book's main character.  Well, Toby was my classmate, so to speak, during my home school experiences.  He broke the monotony of studying alone.  He was always there ready to provide a grand distraction to tedious algebra and diagramming sentences.
     Every day at lunch time, we would go outside and play with the ball out on the patio.  When Toby was a young dog, he was quite active and full of fire.  We had some great ball games almost every day.
     After lunch, I'd return to my studies and continue until about three in the afternoon.  I kept the same hours as the local high school.  The only difference was that I went to school with a dog.  I also believe that I received a better education.  I really learned to study and think for myself.
     When my daily assignments were completed, Toby and I would usually go out and sit on the patio steps.  The town where I live is on a high plateau.  The view is incredible.  There is a view for miles out back.  We would sit out there and just relax and listen to the birds.  It was great to have a good friend.  We also liked to go out there in the evenings and look at the lights from the closest town about seven miles away.  On clear evenings I'd take out my telescope and look at the night sky.
     I learned a lot by studying at home.  I studied biology, history, economics, algebra, literature and many other subjects.  Every assignment was graded at the center where the curriculum came from.
     After three years of home study, I decided that I really liked this method of study.  I wanted to be a minister, so I enrolled in an external degree program at a Bible college affiliated with the church my family attended. I studied various ministerial and theological topics and earned a degree in theology.
     During these years, my routine with Toby changed little.  I learned much, and the two of us continued to have great times together.  Toby received quite a large dose of religion listening to me give sermons for practice.  He was probably one of the most well-versed dogs when it came to the theological disciplines.
     While I was in Bible college, I began to learn more and felt very uncomfortable in my church.  I just couldn't go along with many of their views.  I planned on becoming  a minister with our church pastor's home mission organization.  However, that all changed abruptly.  I believe that the church has the responsibility to speak up for social justice and for peace.  At this time, the first Gulf War was just under way.  I could not go along with praying for the death of other people.  I had a major falling out with the pastor on this and other issues including legalism and the extent of salvation.  I was no longer welcome in that church or denomination.
    My plans for entering the ministry were on hold.  Also, the Bible colleges in my old church were not accredited.  I decided to get another degree, but I had to start back at square one because none of my courses would transfer.
     I began attending a local community college.  It was difficult at first.  My health did hold up though.
     Sadly, Toby was very depressed when I left for my classes.  My Dad, who was retired at this time, said that Toby would lay by the front door and wouldn't move until he heard my car coming down the road in the afternoon.  When I'd walk in the door, he got so excited that he jumped up and down on all four legs.
     I earned my community college degree and then obtained a bachelor's degree in history at a small college in Kansas City.  After this, I went back to home study for awhile earning a certificate in creative writing from the University of Wisconsin and a graduate diploma from an accredited seminary.
     Toby was so glad that I was back home to study.  It was at this time that I began writing, and my work began to be published.  Toby lay down in my office while I wrote poetry and stories.  I also did a lot of religious writing which became my way of fulfilling God's call on my life.
     I do have one major regret.  I wanted to have a church and live in the parsonage with Toby.  It was one of my dreams.  Sadly, Toby passed away a couple of years after I started writing.  We never got to fulfill that dream together.

No comments: