Wednesday, May 12, 2021

A Corgi Mystery

      I haven't posted a book review here on the blog for some time. However, today is the day. As most of you know, corgis are my favorite dogs. My friend Toby was a corgi. I was quite pleased to find a new mystery series at my library about a talking corgi that helps his person solve mysteries in Cornwall. 

     The book that I am reviewing today is To Fetch A Felon written by Jennifer Hawkins. As the book begins, Emma has left her job in London to move to a small town in Cornwall where it is her intention to open up a tea shop. She brings along her corgi Oliver. What no one except Emma and Oliver know is that they can understand what the other is saying.  This is something the reader just has to accept, there is no real reason given as to why Emma and Oliver can communicate, we are just told that Oliver is special. I had no problem as a reader getting into the idea of animals talking and communicating as I am a big fan of the talking cat Joe Grey mysteries written by Shirley Rousseau Murphy. 

     Emma's dream of setting up a tea shop gets off to a rocky start. She and Oliver find the owner of the tea shop building dead, and the mystery begins. During the course of the mystery, we are introduced to a colorful cast of characters who inhabit the town, suspects and those working to solve the murder. 

     I really enjoyed this book and not just because there was a corgi in it. The writing is very well done. The book is easy to read with great dialogue between the characters. Oliver is a great dog character. I know that there is a second book in the series scheduled for release later this year, and I am looking forward to reading it. 

No comments: