Friday, September 3, 2021

Weekend Sermon -- Hebrews 13:8

      Last week, we finished our series on the book of James. It has taken us almost the entire year to finish, but I believe that we learned a lot. Here is what I want to do with the sermons through the end of the year, Lord willing. Through the month of September, I will post a sermon each week on one of my favorite verses in the Bible. Starting in October, I plan to do something different. Last year, we had 30 days 30 Psalms. For the month of October, I want to do 31 days in Proverbs. I will pick a couple of Proverbs to write about each day in lieu of other posts and the sermon. Then in November, I will post sermons about some of my favorite verses again until it is time for Advent sermons. That will carry us through this year. I hope that you will be part of the journey to learn more about what the Lord has to teach us. 

     Today, I want to share with you why Hebrews 13:8 is one of the most meaningful verses in the Bible to me. Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." It is a short verse packed with a lot of meaning. 

     The main reason why this verse is so important to me is that it reminds me of the fact that I can always count on Jesus being just as He was in the Bible, and I can always count on Him to keep His promises. He did in the past, and He will keep on doing it. Let's look at this a little deeper.

     In the Gospels, we are presented with a picture of Jesus who always acts with compassion and mercy. On several different occasions, the Bible tells us that Jesus was moved with compassion. He felt compassion on those who were sick and on those who were hungry. He had compassion for those who were being led astray by the religious leaders of His day. Jesus cared about people, and He went about doing good and helping as many people as He could. 

     Since Jesus was that way while He was on this earth, I know according to Hebrews 13:8 that Jesus is that way now and will be in the future. He still is compassionate, caring and merciful. He cares that people are hurting in this world, and He wants those of us who claim to follow Him to to all that we can to help people and to make this world a better place. Jesus wants us to work for peace and for the alleviation of suffering. 

     Jesus also cared about the fact that people needed salvation and forgiveness of sins. And He certainly still does. That is why He gave His followers the Great Commission that tells us to go into the world and preach the Gospel to every creature. Jesus forgave people while He was on earth. He even did it while He was on the cross. Jesus wants us now and in the future to share His message of love and forgiveness so that they can know Him and the peace and love that He will bring to their lives. 

     Hebrews 13:8 speaks to me because it lets me know that I can trust Jesus into the future. Jesus said that He would not cast out anyone who would come to Him. He said that He would give new life and and an abundant life to those who would trust in Him. I have put my faith and trust in Jesus believing that since I have come to Him, He has forgiven me and saved me from my sins. 

     Jesus said that He would not leave us. Hebrews 13:8 helps me to hold on that promise. Jesus was trustworthy in the past, so I can trust Him now to be with me in every circumstance that I face. He will not forsake me. 

     Jesus told us clearly that He has gone to prepare a place for us so that we would be with Him forever. I am counting on this. I believe that my family and friends are with Jesus in Heaven right now. One day, I will be with Him. I can count on Him keeping His word because Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. 

     Jesus also told us that He would come to this earth one day and establish His eternal kingdom. We can have confidence that this will happen just as He said because Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Amen.

Prayer Requests

      There is a lot to pray for this week. The US has been devastated by the hurricane. Please pray for those in need in Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, New Jersey and the many other places affected by the storm. 

     Please pray for my area. We are supposed to have a lot of heavy rain starting tonight through tomorrow. Please pray that the rain is not that heavy. We don't need a lot of rain right now. Thank you. 

     Continue to pray for an end to the coronavirus pandemic. Pray that the sick will recover. Please get vaccinated if you have not been already. 

     Continue to pray for Afghanistan. That whole situation is truly depressing. 

     Pray for peace in this world. Let us focus our prayers for peace on Yemen this week. 

     For our prayer focus countries, let us pray for those in Japan and Egypt. Pray that many will come to know Jesus. 

     Please keeping praying that those in Haiti affected by the earthquake will receive the aid that they need. 

     Next week, I will post the sermon on Friday. I will post the verses on Monday. I will really try to have a book review midweek. I am not reading as much as usual because I haven't been feeling well at all. When I get home from work, I often just feel too tired to do much. May God bless you all. 

No comments: