Friday, February 25, 2022

Weekend Sermon -- God Heals

      Thank you for taking time to read the sermon this week. I hope that all of you are doing well. I have been doing better, and I thank the Lord for that. 

     Today's sermon is a transition sermon so to speak. Next week, I am going to start a new series. However, I want to post a message about a subject that is very important to me. It can be controversial unfortunately. I want us to look at the fact that the Bible makes it quite clear that God heals. 

     Now, there are what I believe to be two different very wrong ideas about healing out there. Some believe that God will always heal someone. They will go on to say that if a Christian isn't healed it is because that person lacks faith or that person has some unconfessed sin in his or her life. I think that we can show from Scripture that this is not the case. For instance, Timothy had some type of continuing stomach problem. Paul instructed him in I Timothy 5:23 to use a little wine for the sake of his stomach infirmities. Paul also talks about having a thorn in the flesh that God decided not to remove. In another passage, Paul states that he left one of his ministry companions named Trophimus sick. Not everyone was healed in the Bible, and it wasn't because of a lack of faith or for unconfessed sin. We have to honestly say that we don't know why some are healed and some are not. 

    Another example from the Old Testament is Job. He had a whole host of problems. His friends were convinced that he had done something to deserve his misfortune. That wasn't the case as we know well from reading the book of Job. 

    One definitive text is Jesus encounter with the man born blind in John 9. The disciples asked Jesus if the blind man or his parents had sinned to cause the blindness. Jesus said that neither had. That didn't have anything to do with it. 

     Now, there is an opposing idea of the healing power of God that is out there in the marketplace of Christian ideas. It is prominent among those who I grew up with when I was young. That is the idea that healing and other miracles were signs that have passed away. Oh, they believed that God might heal someone, but they didn't say much about it. They were afraid that if they spoke about healing that someone might accuse them of being Pentecostals.  There is nothing wrong with being Pentecostal. It was just that in the churches I grew up in, Pentecostals were looked down on. 

     It tells us in James 5 that if someone is sick, the elders of the church are to come and anoint the sick with oil. When my Grandpa had a stroke, my Grandma asked the elders of the church to come and do that. However, they told her that that wasn't for today, and they wouldn't do it. That wasn't right. 

     Now, let me tell you about my experience with the healing power of God. I know from first hand experience that God still heals people today.

     When I was young, I had terrible asthma and respiratory problems. I missed many days of school with illness. One day, I was really sick. My folks went to church, and I was at home recovering. I switched on the television and watched a preacher who I liked to listen to. While he was giving his message, he stopped all of the sudden. He said that God was giving him a word that there was a young man at home watching who had bad asthma. He said that God wanted that young man to reach out toward the TV and say I am healed in the name of Jesus. I felt like the preacher was speaking about me. I reached out my hand, and said the words. From that day, my asthma has been 95% better. To me, I believe that God healed me. I've been so much better since that day by the grace of God. 

     When I was older, I was diagnosed with a skin condition called vitiligo. It causes depigmentation of the skin. I went to many doctors seeking a remedy. Nothing worked. I prayed and asked the Lord to heal me, and He healed my vitiligo 100%. All Praise To God Almighty. 

     Those who read the blog know how much my friend Toby meant to me. He had a bad autoimmune skin problem that wouldn't get better. I prayed that he would be healed, and God completely healed him. When Toby had liver cancer and was given only six weeks to live, I prayed, and God allowed Toby to live 13  more months. 

     I definitely believe in and have experienced the healing power of God. However, I know that some are not healed on this side of Heaven. When my Mom had her stroke I prayed every day for five years for her recovery. I actually believe she got worse every day instead of better. I don't know why. 

     I don't have all the answers as to why some are healed and some aren't healed until they see Jesus in Heaven. I do know this. God still heals people, and churches and believers should pray for healing for themselves and for others. 

    If you are going through a sickness or disease, pray that God in His power might heal you. Whatever happens, give God the glory that His will is always done. Never lose faith in God and what He is doing in your life. He is always with you, and He will always love you. Amen. 

Prayer Requests

     The last snow storm in my area was pretty bad, but we made it through. Thank God. We are supposed to have another round. Please pray that all will be well. 

     Pray for peace in Ukraine. Continue to pray for peace in Syria, Yemen and Ethiopia.

     Let us pray for those in Tonga and Madagascar who are dealing with the natural disasters. Pray that they will receive the help that they need. 

     For our prayer focus countries this week, let us pray for those in Albania and Bahrain. Pray that many will come to know Jesus. 

     Next week, we will begin a new series of messages. I will post the verses on Monday. I will try to have a midweek post, but I am way behind on my reading. May God bless you all. 

No comments: