Thursday, April 5, 2012

Maundy Thursday

     Today is the day in Holy Week when we commemorate the events which occurred on the night before Jesus' crucifixion.  What I would like to focus on today is Jesus washing His disciples feet.  On this night, Jesus went to every disciple and washed their feet.  When Jesus came to Peter, Peter said, "You shall never wash my feet."  Jesus replied, "If I do not wash you, you have no share with me."  Upon hearing this Peter said, "Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and head!" 
     After washing His disciples' feet, Jesus said, "If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you."
     Washing of feet was a job the servants of a house were supposed to perform.  Jesus was demonstrating to His disciples the principle of service and humility.  Jesus came to this earth to serve not to be served.  That is what we as modern day believers should be about.  We should be people of service.
     One of the best ways we can serve our fellow man is to share the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  We also should reach out and help those in need who don't have enough to eat or who have other physical needs. 
     During this day, think of ways that you can be one who serves.

p.s--Tomorrow I will post about Good Friday.  The Weekend Sermon will appear on Saturday.

No comments: