Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Toby Book

Here is the next chapter.  This is a long chapter, so I am splitting it up into several parts.

Chapter 7

     I begin this chapter by stating flat out that I haven't been to too many places.  I am not well traveled.  I remember students in school telling about where they went on summer vacation.  Some of them went overseas to exotic places.  My family stayed pretty much in our area.
     I have never traveled very far outside of the Midwest.  To the north, I have gone as far as South Dakota and Minnesota.  I've been as far south as Arkansas.  Westward, I've gone to the Rocky Mountains, and to the east I've been to Illinois.  There you have it.
     What's nice about these travels is that everywhere I went, Toby always came too.  After a short time in our home, it soon became apparent that Toby was the type of dog who really attached himself to the family.  He would have been totally heartbroken if I had left him in a kennel while I was off enjoying a good time.
     Besides Toby's attachment to me, I also took his special needs into consideration.  Toby needed special food in order to keep his digestive system working properly, and the little guy had pills that he needed to take on a daily basis.  If he wasn't along on the trip, no matter how good the boarding facility, I wouldn't have been able to have any fun for fear that Toby wasn't receiving the proper care. 
     For these reasons, if was decided that at all times Toby would accompany me on all vacations and trips.  As you will see, having him along made the trips much more fun and memorable.
     The first trip came along when we took a trip to the Ozarks.  We went down there quite a bit and stayed in Springfield, Missouri.  There was a nice hotel there that offered a golf course, tennis and three swimming pools.
     I was very pleased with the way Toby behaved on this initial trip.  He didn't make any fuss in the car.  We just drove down there peacefully and in comfort. This place didn't care if Toby was with me on the golf course as long as he didn't get on the greens.  He followed me around while I played.  I embarrassed myself greatly as I always do on the golf course.  I think I caught Toby laughing at me on more than one occasion.  It's probably a good thing I can't play golf anymore.  The last time I played about ten years ago, I hooked the ball so bad it went over the safety netting by the course edge and landed in the practice putting area.  I just missed hitting a man in the head.
     At restaurants, I stayed with him out in the car and just ate out there.  On warm days, we would go sit under a shade tree and have a picnic.  I never left Toby alone in the car.  Even with the windows cracked, a car will heat up tremendously.  For a time, I also feared he would be stolen.  At one time, there was a high incidence of pet theft where I live.  Since that time, I've always been afraid to leave any animal unattended for too long.  By the way, a person has to be really sick to steal someone's pet. 
     Most of my Mom's family lived in the state of Wyoming, so when my Grandmother was still living, we went out there almost every summer.  The first trip out west with Toby was fun.
     Instead of driving straight through the barren Kansas Plains to Cheyenne, we decided to take a circuitous route and visit the Black Hills and other sites in South Dakota.  Our first stop was in Sioux Falls.
     When we arrived, everyone was worn out from driving.  We didn't plan to do much in town, but I discovered the USS South Dakota monument listed in a travel brochure at the hotel.  All of us went out to see it.
     This monument consists of a concrete outline of the battleship which is built to the ship's exact dimensions.  An interesting museum and gift shop are located in the middle about where the ship's bridge would be.  Toby and I walked around there for a long time.
    
    

No comments: