Friday, March 1, 2013

Weekend Sermon--Sermon on the Mount

Matthew 5:38-48

     I'm glad to be back to post a sermon this week.  We received 10 inches of snow on Thursday, and then we received another 10 inches of snow on Tuesday.  It's snowing again today, but it's only supposed to snow about an inch.  I'm just happy to be able to get out of the house.
     The last time that we studied the Sermon on the Mount, I wrote about Jesus' teachings concerning oaths and swearing.  I believe that the most important thing that we can take away from this section of the Sermon on the Mount is that those who are followers of Jesus should be people of their word.  Christians should be the most honest and trustworthy people that there are.  We are representatives of Jesus.  We don't want to act in any way that will possibly bring dishonor to the name of Jesus. 
     Today, we will finish the first chapter of the Sermon on the Mount.  After today, we will have Matthew chapters 6 and 7 left to cover.
     In verses 38 and 39, Jesus is once again changing what the law previously said.  We saw previously that this was Jesus' prerogative because He was God come in human flesh. 
     In the Old Testament, the law dictated an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.  The punishment was supposed to fit the crime.  Jesus turns this law on its head.  Jesus says, "But I say unto you, that ye resist not evil:  but whosoever shall smite thee on the right check, turn to him the other also."  Jesus will go on to say that if someone steals our coat, we should give them our cloak as well.  If we are compelled to go one mile, we should go two miles.
     I said last time that this section is controversial.  I am going to say what I believe Jesus is teaching.  I have no intention of deliberately offending anyone.  You have the right to disagree.
     First of all, I believe that Jesus is revoking the death penalty in this teaching.  When Jesus changes an eye for an eye, I believe that this is what He had in mind since that statement in the Old Testament deals with punishment for offenses.  If someone is alive, they have the opportunity to repent of their sins and come to a knowledge of Jesus.  They can turn and follow the ways of the Lord.
     I also believe that Jesus is teaching that as believers we are not to retaliate when we are persecuted or when someone is seeking to do us personal harm.  I don not believe that Jesus is teaching an entire pacifist ethic here.  If someone is attempting to do evil to us as a believer, I believe that we are not to retaliate.  However, I believe that we have an obligation to intercede to stop criminal actions taking place against others.  
     As a Christian, I know that if someone takes my life, I will be in Heaven with Jesus.  I should not resist evil done to me.  If I saw someone trying to harm someone else, I would intervene with the force necessary to stop the aggression.
    Some who believe in total pacifism will disagree with me on this point.  I have respect for your position.
    Now, how should we interpret this on a broader level.  Many who believe in complete pacifism do not believe that any war is a just war, and they will not participate in any military action.  I believe that a Christian should not support his nation militarily in any war of aggression.  This is one reason I don't understand how a Christian can make a career out of being in the military.  Even my country has been involved in non-defensive wars.  A war of aggression has no Scriptural defense in the light of the teachings of Jesus.  If you are a Christian in the military, you may be called on by the government to participate in a war that is not purely defensive.  Some wars are purely defensive.
    World War II was a war where the Allied nations came together to stop a great force of evil in the world that sought to exterminate millions of people.  The Nazi evil had to be stopped.
     On the other hand, throughout history, many nations that were supposed Christian nations have engaged in wars of pure conquest.  There is no justification for a believer in Jesus Christ to be involved in this.
     Any war, even for defensive purposes, should be a last resort.  Every peaceful means must be exhausted before engaging in any military action.
    In my lifetime, my country was engaged in the Iraq War.  I opposed this war, and was heavily criticized by people in my church.  Before this war was fought, I do not believe that every peaceful means was employed to avoid this conflict.  It troubled me greatly that so many Christian people and denominations supported this war.
     Jesus tells us what the believer's response is to be to his enemies.  We are to do good to those who hate us and pray for those who persecute us.  This is what Jesus did on the cross when He prayed, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do."
     As believers, we are to pray for our enemies that they might experience the love and life changing power of Jesus.  We are to do good even to those who hate us.  We are to be the people that go about doing as much good as we possibly can in life and try to leave this world a little better than we found it. 
     On a national level, if supposed Christian nations would help make the world a better place instead of spending billions of dollars on weapons and warfare, we could turn many enemies into friends.  As long as the rich nations of the world participate in the exploitation of the world's poor by corporate interests, the rich nations of the world will always have enemies.
     Jesus calls us to love everyone.  That is hard to do.  With the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit, we can do it.
     There are two issue I would like to address in keeping with Jesus' teaching in this area.
     In the United States, there is a big debate right now over the issue of gun control.  Where would Jesus stand on this issue?  Jesus commanded us to put away the sword.  Limiting access to weapons seems to me to be in keeping with the teachings of Jesus.
     Also, our civilization is filled with violence.  We see it in games, movies and other forms of entertainment.  As believers, why don't we disengage from these types of violent themes and think on what is good, pure and lovely.
     In everything we do as believers we need to ask the questions what would Jesus do and how would Jesus respond? 
     Jesus is our example in every area of life.  We are to follow Him completely.  If we cannot picture Jesus being engaged in an activity, then we as His followers should not be engaged in it.
     Jesus was a peacemaker and a man of love.  This is the example that we are to follow.
     There is much more that I could say on these matters, but I will leave it for another time.  You may disagree with what I said, but I don't believe that you can disagree with the fact that Jesus is our example.  If we look to Him and follow Him completely, we cannot and will not fall into error.
     Next week, we will move on to Matthew chapter 6.  Remember to read my book about Toby on Wednesdays if you are interested.  May God bless you . Amen.
    

No comments: