Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Toby Book

Here is the next chapter.

Chapter 8

     I took many trips with Toby over the years that we were together.  Every summer, we would always go out and visit my Grandma and my uncle in Cheyenne.  Instead of just going straight out there, we often took different routes and tried to explore some new places where none of us had ever been before.
     One year, my Mom decided to take some extra vacation time, so we had an additional trip that year.  That particular year, Mom wanted to go up to Iowa and visit some of the places where she lived as a girl.  She also wanted to see the place that her Dad grew up, and we wanted to explore some family history.  So, we all decided to take a trip up to Iowa.
     The first day of the trip, we went to the towns my Mom knew as a young girl.  She was born in Vinton, Iowa, so we stopped there first.  We also visited the town of Van Horne where my Grandma was born and where she lived as a girl.  The town of Garrison is nearby.  That is where my Mom's grandparents lived.
     It was interesting to see where my Mom was born.  Visiting Garrison made Mom sad.  She said that it was so different from when she knew it.  Many of the business were closed.
     From there, we made our way to the towns of Traer and Dysart.  Dysart was my Mom's least favorite place.  She actually didn't want to visit there, but I wanted to see it since my Grandma said that she liked it. My Mom said that when she was a girl, everyone who was in her glass was Scandinavian.  They all had light hair, and they made fun of her because she had black hair.  They called her a terrible name that I won't repeat.
     There really wasn't that much in this part of the trip for me and Toby to do.  It was mostly just a trip for my Mom.  I did have fun walking around Clear Lake with Toby.  My Mom spent most of her younger days in Mason City.  She would often go over to Clear Lake to the Surf Ballroom and listen to the big bands play.
     The second part of the trip was very interesting.  We decided to go and visit what was left of the religious colony where my Grandpa was born.
     I'll have to give a little history of how this religious colony came to be.  My Great Great Grandfather originally lived in Prussia.  He began reading the writings of Emanuel Swedenborg and became a member of the Swedenborgian Church.  Because my Great Great Grandfather wasn't a Lutheran like his neighbors, many of them began persecuting him for his religious beliefs.  He decided to leave Prussia and come to America where he could have religious freedom. 
    He eventually settled in Saint Louis where he met up with some other Swedenborgians.  They decided to build a religious colony in Norway, Iowa.  They lived communally for two or three years.  After that, each family owned their own land.  They had their own church and school.
    This is where my Grandpa was born in 1901.  The church that these early Swedenborgian pioneers built is still there.  Toby and I had a great time visiting this old church.  I could just picture my Grandpa sitting in the pews listening to the sermons that were still given in German when he was a boy.
    My Grandpa loved dogs, and if he had been alive to know Toby, he would have loved him too.  When my Grandpa was a boy, he decided to get an old, retired racing greyhound.  My Grandpa went rabbit hunting with that dog almost every day.  My Grandpa's brother told me that they kept the whole family fed one winter with the rabbits they caught.  This was quite a task as my Grandpa had 12 brothers and sisters.
    My Grandpa's old farm was just across the street from the church, and I could imagine that if Toby would have been there the two of us could have had many great adventures in the rural Iowa countryside.
    My Grandpa didn't remain a member of the Swedenborgian Church.  He became convinced that they were wrong, and he joined an evangelical denomination.  Services are no longer held in the old church in Iowa.
    Toby and I walked around the countryside for many hours. We visited the cemetery where my Great Great Grandparents and Great Granparents are buried.  Many of my Great Aunts and Uncles are buried there as well.  I remembered my Grandpa and all of the fun we had when I was a boy.  Every day I wish that he was still around to talk to.
    After we visited the religious colony, we stopped at the Amana Colonies and looked around.  I walked around there with Toby for a long time.  At one shop they were giving out free samples of red clover wine.  I decided to take a shot.  That was a mistake.  That stuff about knocked me over.  Toby began barking at me like I was stupid for even trying the stuff.  Once again like at Mount Rushmore, too many people wanted to pet the dog.  We went back to the car and ate lunch while Mom and Dad continued there excursions.
    We had a very enjoyable time in Iowa visiting all of the old family places.  I just enjoyed being with my family and my good friend Toby.  I always enjoy the scenery and the beauty of the earth.

No comments: