Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Book Reviews

As the Fourth of July approaches, I thought that I would review two books that tell about the contribution of dogs in the military.  The first book is entitled "Always Faithful" written by Captain William W. Putney.  This book tells the story of how the first dogs were trained for service in the U.S armed forces during World War II.  The book recounts the contribution of the dogs and their handlers to the liberation of the island of Guam.  Many of the first dogs used were Dobermans.  I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I had a Doberman many years ago.  Her name was Heidi.  She was black and tan.  I trained her and took her to dog shows.  She didn't do very well, but we had fun.  After the shows, I would give her treat.  She liked to eat roast beef sandwiches from Hardee's.  By the way, I enjoyed "Always Faithful."

Another book that I would like to mention is called "Freedom in the Air" by Hamish Ross.  This book is about the famous World War II dog named Antis who flew on bombing missions with his owner who was a Czech flyer with the RAF.  This book is similar to another book I reviewed about Antis called "One Man and His Dog."  However, this book is more analytical and is written as history and not in story fashion. 

No comments: