Friday, April 25, 2014

Weekend Sermon-- John 21:20-25

     It is good to be able to post another edition of the Weekend Sermon.  I didn't think that I was going to be able to post today.  I was very busy at work.  I only have a few minutes before the library closes for the night, so this may be a brief Weekend Sermon.
     For the past few weeks, we have been praying for one country each week where there are not a large number of Christians.  This week, let us pray for the nation of Tunisia.  This country has only a few Christians, and the people of this nation need to hear the good news about the love of Jesus.
     This week, I want to talk about one of the post resurrection appearances of Jesus.  Next week, we will return to our series on the miracles that Jesus performed while He was on earth.
     In John's gospel, we find an interesting account of Jesus appearing to Peter, John and some of the other disciples while they were out fishing.  The disciples had fished all night, but they had nothing to show for their efforts.  Jesus appeared on the shore and told the disciples to cast the net on the other side.  They did it, and they had an abundance of fish in the net. 
     Later, Jesus would ask Peter on three different occasions if Peter loved Him.  Each time, Peter answered that he did love Jesus.  I believe that Jesus asked Peter this three times to show Peter that he was forgiven for the three times that Peter denied knowing Jesus when Jesus was taken away to be crucified.
     After Jesus asked Peter these questions about love, Peter noticed John following them.  Peter asked Jesus what was going to happen to John.  Jesus said, "If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?  You follow me?
     I have found this to be a very important verse in my life.  Sometimes, I look at what other people who are Christians are doing, and I get discouraged.  I wonder if I am doing enough to be of service to the Lord.  This verse helps me to realize that following Jesus is not a competition.  Jesus has a plan and a purpose for my life.  He wants me to do what He has called me to do.  I don't need to compare myself to others.  My responsibility is to remain faithful to what Jesus has revealed to me for my life.
    Also, this verse helps me when I see prominent Christian leaders, or other Christians, get involved in very un-Christlike behaviors.  I shouldn't focus on other people.  I need to keep my eyes fixed upon Jesus.  If I follow after Him, all will be well.  Others may fall off the path.  My job is to stay on the narrow path of following the Lord that leads to life and ultimate happiness for all of eternity with Jesus.
     Verse 25 of this passage is another one of my favorite verses in the Bible.  If all of the things that Jesus did while He was on earth were written down, the world could not contain all of the books that could be written.  This tells me that Jesus did many glorious and wonderful things.  In the Gospels, we see just a handful of the miraculous healings that Jesus performed.  We see only a fraction of the good deeds that Jesus performed.  We only see a glimpse of the the compassion of our glorious Lord.
     Jesus' ministry was filled with doing as much good as He could possibly do while He was on the earth.  In three years of ministry, Jesus did so much good that no one could write about it all.  That is an example for me to follow.  I know that as a follower of Jesus, I need to be doing as much good as I can.  I must try to leave this world a little better than the way I found as I am empowered by the Holy Spirit.  Only through the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit can we do great things for the Lord.
     Next week, I will post a book review on Wednesday.  The Weekend Sermon will be back next week.  May God bless You.

No comments: