Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Book Review -- Bible Study Books

     Today for the weekly review, I would like to review two bible study book series.  I really enjoy doing Bible studies on different books and topics.  If a person is really going to know the Bible, it is essential that he do more than just listen to the sermon on Sunday morning.  Truly knowing and understanding God's Word requires diligent study on a personal level.
     Bible study books are a good way to help learn what the Bible teaches.  A new Bible study series that I have recently come across is entitled "Wesley Bible Studies."  This is a series where one or more books of the Bible is dealt with in 13 different lessons.  The particular volume that I worked on was on Matthew's Gospel.  
     Each lesson has a commentary section, and then there are questions for the student to answer at the end of each lesson.  
    I thought the volume on Matthew was pretty good, but I did not think that this particular volume was very in depth.  I was disappointed that only portions of Matthew were dealt with and not the book as a whole.  I would recommend this series, but not for in depth Bible study.
     A Bible study series that I would recommend wholeheartedly is the LifeGuide series published by IVP.  This particular series contains volumes on individual books of the Bible as well as studies arranged on particular themes.  The study I did on the Sermon on the Mount was very good.  
    I hope that you will find a good Bible study to help you as you attempt to learn more about God and His Word.

No comments: