Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Book Review -- Notes From the Dog

     As I mentioned in last week's book review post, one of the author's I like is Gary Paulsen.  Mentioning that got me thinking that I hadn't read any of his newer books lately, so I checked a couple out at the library.
    "Notes From the Dog" is an excellent book for young and old alike.  In this book, a 14-year old boy named Finn is living with his Dad and their dog Dylan.  Finn's friend is staying with them for the Summer.  Finn plans on an uneventful Summer, but that all changes when Johanna the new neighbor moves in next door.
    Johanna has cancer, but she is not letting it get her down.  During the course of the book, Johanna helps Finn connect with others around him, she helps him plant a garden, and Finn and Matthew help Johanna by collecting donations for Johanna's triathlon competition to fund cancer research.  The two boys also help Johanna when she is very sick from her chemotherapy treatments.
    Throughout the book, people keep making connections with one another, and every character in the book experiences significant life changes.  Also, Dylan the dog plays a significant role in the book per the title, but I won't give that part of the story away.
     "Notes From the Dog" is a well-written book by a great writer.  I highly recommend it.
   

No comments: