Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Book Review-- "Crenshaw"

     Today, I am reviewing a book for younger readers.  "Crenshaw" written by Katherine Applegate is the story of a young boy who has an imaginary cat who is quite large.  When the boy was young, he had this imaginary friend, but as the boy grew older, the cat became part of the past. Now, the boy and his family are facing homelessness, and Crenshaw the cat has reappeares to offer his advice about the situation.
     I am going to give a mixed review on this book.  First of all, this book was not as good as I hoped that it would be.  The writing seemed flat at times, and the cat wasn't as much a part of the book as I thought he would be.
     With that said, the book does deal with an important theme.  Homelessness is problem throughout society.  I know from firsthand experience that you can be going along thinking you have enough money, and then a financial problem hits and your wiped out.  I was not homeless, but it was a close run thing.  The family in this book have to live in their car for awhile.  It is hard to have a family and be reduced to these circumstances.
     "Crenshaw" deals with an important theme and is worth reading for that. However, I think that it could have been a lot better book.
   

No comments: