Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Book Review -- "Poirot and Me"

     One of my favorite mystery television programs was Poirot which aired on PBS here in the United States.  David Suchet is a great actor, and he has provided the best portrayal of Agatha Christie's detective that has ever been done.
     In "Poirot and Me", David Suchet goes into great detail about his time playing the role of the Belgian detective.  Suchet gives insight on how he was first chosen for the role, and he relates how the episodes were produced.
    What I found most interesting in the book was Suchet's description of the way that he prepared for the role.  He read all of Agatha Christie's Poirot books and stories.  He then prepared a list of all of the important characteristics of Poirot that he wanted to bring out in the episodes.  Suchet demonstrates how a serious actor prepares and takes his work to heart.
     One thing that I would have like to have read more of in the book is about the relationship between Mr. Suchet and the other actors who were regulars in the earlier episodes.  We are given some information, but I was left wanting more.  I thought that Hugh Fraser did an excellent job as Hastings, and I would have liked to have read more about him.
     I enjoyed reading "Poirot and Me" very much.  If you have never watched any of the Poirot films with David Suchet, I urge you to watch them.  There are 13 seasons of episodes.  Suchet filmed every Poirot book and story penned by Agatha Christie.

No comments: