Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Book Review: First to Fly: The Story of the Lafayette Escadrille

    Today, I am reviewing a history book about a subject I knew almost nothing about until I read this book.  The book is "First to Fly:  The Story of the Lafayette Escadrille"  written by Charles Bracelen Flood.
    This book deals with the stories of the American pilots who flew for the French during the early period of World War I.  As you probably know, the United States was late entering World War I.  However, there were those in the United States who looked favorably upon the cause of the the British and the French and who sought to help them in the war effort against the Germans.  Many of these Americans would join the French Foreign Legion, and several formed a squadron to fly for the French.  This American flight group was known as the Lafayette Escadrille.
    The author presents his topic by letting the reader get to know the history of the individuals who made up this flying unit.  This presentation works in some ways and not in others.
     It was interesting to learn upon the individual pilots and their motivation for fighting for the French.  However, I believe that the book lacked in presenting how the Lafayette Escadrille truly impacted the various battles in which they were engaged.
     The book is well-written and interesting.  It did give me information on a topic that I didn't know much about.  I wish it would have been a little more detailed.  This would be a good book to read for those who are interested in the early period of military aviation.
     This will be the last book that I will review that does not have something to do with animals, has a significant animal character or is not religious or theological in nature.  I feel that my reviews and recommendations have gotten away from the original intent that I had, so I am going to go back to the original focus.  Also, I am not going to review any more books about animals involved in warfare.
    Reviewing the book for this week, it just brought home to me the true horror and futility of war.  I have a degree in history, I studied a lot of military history, and I've written published articles about military history.  I just don't want to read about it anymore.

No comments: