Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Book Review -- :"The Minor Prophets"

     Before I get into the book review today, I would like to ask you to be in prayer for the people of Italy who went through a terrible earthquake last night.  The last report that I heard, there were over 70 people who were killed, and many more were injured.  Pray that the rescuers will be able to find those who are trapped.  Pray that the hurt will recover, and that the Lord will be with those who grieve at this time.  Also continue to pray for the people effected by the flooding in Louisiana.

     At the church I attend, the pastor has been preaching a series this summer on the minor prophets.  When I was in Bible college, my two favorite classes were Minor Prophets of Judah and Minor Prophets of Israel.  I've always loved to study the minor prophets.
     One of the text books that we used in those two courses was a book called "Minor Prophets" written by Charles L. Feinberg.  This book is concise, yet it gives a lot of great information on these often overlooked books of the Bible.  This book is still in print, and it is available in paperback at a reasonable price.
     I would encourage everyone to read and study the minor prophets.  Over the course of this blog's lifetime, we have studied a few of the minor prophets including Obadiah, Haggai, and Nahum.  I have plans for us to study Zephaniah, Malachi and Micah during the next couple of years if the Lord is willing and I am still around.  
     If you decide to study the minor prophets, Feinberg's book is great.  Also, The Nelson Study Bible and the Wycliffe Bible Commentary are great resources.  
     I am currently reading the Cambridge Commentary series on the books of Amos, Hosea and Micah.  I am just getting into it, so I will have to report back on that later.
     I hope that everyone has a good day.  Thank you for reading the blog. 

No comments: