Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Book Recommendations

     Today, I want to review another of the Joe Grey book series, and I want to speak a little bit about an author and minister whose books I want to recommend.
     "Cat Raise The Dead" is the third book in the Joe Grey mystery series written by Shirley Rousseau Murphy.  In this book, Joe has been volunteered by his housemate Clyde to be part of the pet therapy program at a local nursing home.  Joe doesn't like the idea at all, but at least he finds a mystery to solve as some of the nursing home residents have gone missing.  Also, Joe is on the trail of a burglar who is robbing people's homes in broad daylight.
     As with the other books in this series, "Cat Raise the Dead" is well-written and fun to read.  The end of this book is very good, and the characterization are great.  On my list of favorites in the series, this one is more in the middle rank for me, but it is still very good.   There are 19 books and counting in the Joe Grey series.

    Now, I would like to shift gears and recommend some religious books.  When I was in high school and college, my favorite minister to listen to on television was Lloyd Ogilvie.  He was the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Hollywood, California, and he had a Sunday morning television program called "Let God Love You" that was broadcast from the church.  Reverend Ogilvie's  sermons were always informative and thought provoking.  His program was on either at 6:30 or 7:00am  in my area, so I had to get up early to listen to him.  I almost never missed a program.
     Reverend Ogilvie has written many books over the course of his ministry including some Bible commentaries.  All of the books that I've read by him have been very good.  My favorite book written by Ogilvie is "The Other Jesus".  In this book, Ogilvie deals with many of the more difficult statements made by Jesus during His earthly ministry.  I highly recommend this book.  Some of Ogilvie's books are still in print.  The others are available from sellers through Amazon.
     In the mid 90s, Ogilvie resigned from his church and became chaplain of the United States Senate.  He served there for several years until his wife got sick, and they moved back to California.


No comments: