Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Book Review -- "Secret Service Dogs"

    I always enjoy reading a good book about dogs.  "Secret Service Dogs" written by Maria Goodavage is great book about dogs.
    In this book, the reader is introduced to several different handlers and their dogs.  The Secret Service has used dogs to protect the President of the United States for many years.  Some dogs are used to check out any area that the President will be visiting.  The dogs sniff out the area checking for bombs or other weapons.  These dogs travel with the President's detail around the world. There are other dogs that are used to walk among the crowd of visitors around the White House.  They check for the scent of any type of potential explosive device.  Still other dogs are used as patrol dogs.  These dogs are used to stop those who would try to illegally infiltrate the White House grounds or try to harm the President or his family while they are away from home.
    In the book, each type of dog is profiled along with their handler.  One of the most interesting stories in the book is about a dog named Hurricane who actually had to stop someone who was trying to get into the White House.
    This book is well-written.  This is a subject I knew very little about.  I knew that there were dogs used by the Secret Service, but I had no idea the extent to which they were used.  I also found the information about how the dogs are obtained and trained to be well worth reading.
    I would definitely recommend this book.

P.S.  I would like to ask those of you who read the blog to pray for me over the next couple of days.  Some bad weather is expected, and I would ask you to pray that it would remain safe in my part of the world.  Thank you.

No comments: