Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Book Review and Update -- "The Promise"

     Today we have another book  with a great dog character.  "The Promise" by Robert Crais is a well-written novel that combines all of the author's main characters in one book.  Crais is known for his Elvis Cole and Joe Pike novels.  Recently, he started writing about a police canine officer and his dog Maggie.  "The Promise" has all of these characters working to solve a mystery and stop potential terrorism.
     One of the aspects that I liked about the book was that some portions were written from the perspective of the police dog.  She is treated as a real character in the book and not just a police tool.  I also liked how the book really moved along at a good pace.
     I have to admit that prior to this book I'd only read one other book with Elvis Cole as the main character.  I also read "Suspect" where the canine Maggie is introduced.  In spite of not having read the Cole and Pike novels much, I did not find that that hindered my enjoyment of this novel.  It was easy to get into and get into the action of the plot.
     I would recommend this book for those who like good mystery novels and those who like good dog characters in a book.

Update -- Starting sometime on Friday, we are supposed to have a major winter storm in my area.  I still hope to be able to post the sermon on Friday, but that may not happen.  If you don't see a sermon posted this week, you will know why.  I would ask that you please pray that this ice storm does not materialize.  Nobody needs this mess.  Also, please be in prayer for the people in California and Nevada who are facing such bad weather.

No comments: