Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Book Review -- "Stalking Ground"

     Last year, I reviewed the first book in the Timber Creek K-9 Mystery Series written by Margaret Mizushima.  That book introduced us to the characters of Officer Mattie Cobb and her police dog, Robo.  I thought that this first book was good and that Robo was a good dog character.
     I've just finished reading the second book in the series entitled, "Stalking Ground".   While I enjoyed the first book, I didn't care for "Stalking Ground" all that much.  I still enjoyed the character of Robo, but the entire mystery wasn't very good.  I was able to figure out right away who the killer was.  Also, the relationship between Mattie and veterinarian Cole Walker seems forced.
    One other item that I didn't like in the book is that a police officer on Mattie's force commits an act of police brutality, and there are no real repercussions for that officer.
    When the next book comes out in this series, I will probably read it to see if the series picks up any.  However, I can't recommend this book to those who are just getting started with the series.  The author is a good writer, and there is good flow to the story.  The mystery element in the next book needs to be executed better so that the murderer is not so obvious.

No comments: