Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Book Review -- "Always By My Side"

     I have a good book to tell you about this week.  "Always By My Side" is a book about how dogs can help us to have a better life.  In this book, author Edward Grinnan shares with his readers the story of how the dogs in his life made a difference and taught him lessons about life.  Mr. Grinnan is the editor-in-chief of Guideposts magazine, so he also includes stories in the book from Guidepost contributors about what their dogs have meant to them.
     The dog that receives the most focus in the book is the author's dog Millie.  Millie is a golden retriever who demonstrated to the author the qualities of forgiveness, sensitivity and unconditional love.  Also in the book we learn of the author's relationship with other dogs including Rudy who helped introduce the author to his wife.  Rudy is a cool dog, and readers will certainly enjoy learning more about him and the author's other dogs including Sally and Marty.
     This is a well-written book that seemed to just fly by as I read it.  It was an inspirational book, but not in a heavy-handed way.  The author in this book tells a little bit about how he overcame an addiction to alcohol.  He has written about that in another book that I hope to locate and read in the coming months.  When I am able to do that, I will post about that book here on the blog as well.
     As I mentioned, the author is associated with Guideposts magazine.  Guideposts is a good magazine with many inspirational stories.  They also have a good website with good stories as well.
 
P.S.  Just to update everyone about the storms I asked you to pray about on Monday.  We did have some terrible weather.  There were some tornadoes in the area that caused damage.  Just north of where I live, they had damage from 70 mile per hour wind gusts.  We had quite a bit of wind down where I live, but I am thankful that there was no damage.  Thank you for your prayers regarding this matter.

No comments: